Smoothly zoom the main camera around with a blueprint

We’re trying to put together a character selection screen. Right now, we have four character options. When the game is started, the user is presented with the four characters, standing on pedestals in the game world. The goal is to have the user be able to click the button underneath one of the characters and have the camera smoothly zoom in on that character, filling the viewport. The game will then present information and stats about the character.

We have a UI set up. It involves a HUD class and a widget that holds the buttons. The buttons have been placed where they need to be, but clicking them currently does nothing.

How can I set it up so that the camera will smoothly zoom in on the character when the user clicks one of the buttons? I’m using the 3rd person example project at the moment.

There must be 10 different ways to set it up.

The easiest one would be to give each of the 4 characters a camera and use Set View Target With Blend. This will automagically interpolate the camera movement. It’s an exceptionally simple, fire & forget solution but does not give you much control.

Press widget button > Set View Target With Blend > New View Target being 1 of the 4 characters.

That sounds like a solution I could use! When I drag off of the On Clicked or On Pressed node, however, Set View Target only returns “Set members in ViewTargetTransitionParams.” There’s no view target with blend showing up. Is there something I’m doing wrong that’s making some of the nodes not show up?

The node search box is context sensitive, it is generally quite clever at guessing what you’re trying to do. It does, however, revolve around the idea that you know the searched node’s target already. In this case it expects you to have a handle of the player controller:

Image from Gyazo

It may sometimes help to disable the context sensitive search (upper right corner), especially when dealing with some obscure nodes you’re unfamiliar with. There is a lot of nodes in there!

Essentially, it filters by reference, dragging the white execution wire gives you a slew of generic options.