Smooth Sync: Sync your Transforms Smoothly across the network

That looks like a result of the bandwidth limitation setting in Unreal being low.

Here’s some random settings I heard works in Unreal Enging 4 at least, I haven’t tried 5.
Change the following lines in defaultengine.ini [/Script/Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=500000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=500000

[/Script/Engine.GameNetworkManager]
TotalNetBandwidth=500000
MaxDynamicBandwidth=80000
MinDynamicBandwidth=20000

Probably restart Unreal after that or something.

Let me know if the issue persists.

It could potentially be solved a bit better with some settings changes, but ultimately the objects will just never be perfect with Smooth Sync. Note that if you run next to some one in a game like Apex Legends or drive next to someone in a game like Fortnite, you will see that the positions are very different. Most people just never realize. (or you may notice when you get hit but they were still “behind a wall”).

Try lowering SmoothSync.InterpolationBackTime and increasing the SmoothSync.EasingSpeeds. (mouse over variables for more information and limitations) and let me know how it goes. Cheers.

I understand an unavoidable amount of latency will produce errors, but, as an example, in this video, the car to my inside was ahead of me on their version of the game. Clearly this is an exaggerated issue - otherwise multiplayer racing games wouldn’t be possible.

Can I make it work with attached characters? If the character is attached to some actor, the client has a lot of rollback, it’s impossible to move

Operation Pawn communicates only Location with 7 Smooth Sync.
Low PC specs will cause lag when RHIT values are high.
It doesn’t look like the lag is caused by the amount of communication, can it be improved by setting the plugin?

1 Like

Smooth Sync should work with attached characters but is currently unable to handle runtime changes to attachments. We are hoping to fix this up but have no release date in mind. If you believe you won’t be able to use Smooth Sync without these changes, I’d be happy to put in a refund for you. Let me know. Thank you.

That looks like it’s hitting the Unreal bandwidth settings limits.

Check this out and let me know if it still doesn’t work after changing some Unreal bandwidth settings: How can I increase network bandwidth limit?

1 Like

So I am having an issue that I think may be able to be solved by this plugin, but before I purchase I wanted to make sure that my issue can be aided by Smooth Sync:
So in our game, we are having an issue where over time players (everyone except the host) are becoming desynced with the server. This effect is quickened and intensified when a player sprints into a wall and pushes into it for a bit. Then the location of the player is not being correctly updated on the server (and therefore everyone else), instead you can see them moving but they will be bumping into walls since their location is not correct. What is weird, however, is that when a player who is desynced jumps- they will be teleported (or reset) to their location on the server, resynchronizing them (there is no special code for jump, it just calls the jump function on the character movement component). For whatever reason Unreal is not replicating location correctly. I have tried setting a lower Net Update Frequency on the pawn class, as well as running Force Net Update on it every 5 seconds, and setting it to be always relevant. None of these fix it. Since Smooth Sync replaces ‘Replicate Movement’ could it fix my issue?

I do believe Smooth Sync would fix your issue. I know Unreal’s syncing becomes off after while on at least the Car template and Smooth Sync fixes this issue. If you end up buying Smooth Sync and it doesn’t fix your issue though, I am always happy to offer a refund with no further questions asked. Cheers.

I can happily report Smooth Sync fixed my issue! It works almost flawlessly except for one strange thing: when the players are walking on the starting platform there doesn’t seem to be any interpolation happening and they look very jittery, but as soon as they walk into the main part of the level they are buttery smooth. Only the player who acts as the listen server appears jittery on this platform to the client connected players (to the server, everyone is always smoothly synced). This is really bizarre to me. The only difference is that the starting platform has a different material on the floor (tile, as opposed to carpet which is in the main area where it works). Would you have any idea what may be causing this? I can record a video later.

This may sound familiar. Try the following:

Take Smooth Sync off of your objects entirely.
Keep “Replicates Movement” off.

Does it still move around on the platform?
If so, there is something besides Smooth Sync setting the position that will need to be turned off. Only Smooth Sync should be setting the position or your Smooth Synced objects.
I think I heard of someone with a similar situation but I forget what they did to change it now. I’ll have another think about it if you reply that this is your issue.

Hello. I just purchased it.
What I hoped for this plugin is “launch character” is also synced well.
But launch character is still not synced.

I wanna launch my character during some periods by tick function.
When I launch character on server, the position is not synced at all.
When I launch character on multicast/client, the character is stuttering up and down.

The problem is not occurred in editor, but only in the package build.
(both are dedicated server - client)

is there I can do with this plugin?

I am not familiar with “launch character” but if it’s a transform that’s available in the details tab of the editor, it should be able to be synced.

Check out
SmoothSync.setSceneComponentToSync() - Used to set the Transform that you want to sync. If none is set up, it will sync the Actor. Must have one SmoothSync for each Transform that you want to sync.

However, your main issue might be that you are trying to set the position on a system that does not own the actor. Smooth Sync syncs your scene components (actors, etc.) from the owner to non-owners or from Server to non-servers when there is no owner. So in the case of the owner to non-owners, you will need to move the object on the owner and then the Transform will be synced to the non-owners.

Let me know how it goes.

Did this every get a fix? I’m experiencing the same thing.

Running SmoothSync on a ChaosVehicle, visually it looks fine.
But when i attach 2passengers(or more) to the vehicle, the clients would start to overcompensate and move out of their seat…

On the server side it all looks good all Character are attached to the seat.

@maverick01552 @Park4BmxXx
Try out the latest version of Smooth Sync on the Asset Store and let me know how it goes.

To all others, we have put out a fix for runtime attachment issues. If you notice any issues, let us know. Thank you!

Hi there,

I have purchase it from the marketplace a couple weeks ago and it works perfectly fine for most of my usecases except one, wich is very frustrating.

my issue is about collision detection, especially physics driven detection that happens to be detected very randomly on the server. So here’s my setup :

on the pawn I have set a damage Initiation event that fire on “On component Hit” :

This event result is the first one on a chain for applying collision damages…

when a collision is detected, this event is fired everytime on the owning client … but only 1 time out of 10 on the server side, wich is very unfortunate since I wanted this collision detection to be authored by the server only, since the apply damage event only exist on the server…

Is there a way to ensure that only the server deals with collision detection

note if I remove the smooth sync plug in and replace it be the regular “replicate mouvement” feature, everythings works fine, expect thet the old good client side jittering comes back as expected…

If one of your objects are owned by the non-server, then they may not actually collide on the server.
Smooth Sync interpolates between positions and the chances of it sending the literal collision point and then actually interpolating to that position on non-owners (or clients if no owner) and then I don’t even know if the physics engine would count going to the contact point even as a collision, seems very slim.
Maybe you can put a non physics collision thing (called Triggers in Unity, I forget what Unreal does for this) that is bigger so that it should get “contacted” on the server each time? Or maybe RPC over some client hits since your client positions are client determined anyway, I don’t see why the collision can’t be client determined as well from a same-level of cheating perspective at least.

Realized I didn’t hit “reply” to the above when I posted my previous comment here.
I hope you got my reply, but if not, here it is again. :slight_smile:

If one of your objects are owned by the non-server, then they may not actually collide on the server.
Smooth Sync interpolates between positions and the chances of it sending the literal collision point and then actually interpolating to that position on non-owners (or clients if no owner) and then I don’t even know if the physics engine would count going to the contact point even as a collision, seems very slim.
Maybe you can put a non physics collision thing (called Triggers in Unity, I forget what Unreal does for this) that is bigger so that it should get “contacted” on the server each time? Or maybe RPC over some client hits since your client positions are client determined anyway, I don’t see why the collision can’t be client determined as well from a same-level of cheating perspective at least.

thanks for you’re answer … so If I understand correctly, you means that smooth sync position/rotation controls is managed on the client side? If so It doesn’t sound very safe from a anti cheat point of view, or maybe the plug in should only be used on thrusted client or for non gameplay relevant feature.