Smooth Multiplayer Boat in UE4

Does anybody know how I can create a smooth multiplayer Ship in UE4, that players can walk on? Because in my case the boat isn’t moving smooth at all maybe somebody can help me

Watch this: Why Making Multiplayer Games SUCKS - YouTube

Simply, you need to interpolate the changes to make it work better. What you are trying to do is not a simple task. Usually this type of work / setup is done in C++.

I tried it with the smooth sync plugin but it still didn’t work

You would need to be more specific on what you tried if you require more help.

PS: I am trying to do it without smooth sync now

I love how you replied 12 months later.

I have no indication on what you have been up to the last 12 months, or how far you progressed. I suggest you perhaps close this thread if I answered your question from before, and open a new one with a detailed explanation on what you have done, and are trying to do.

Yeah true! I abandoned the project for a long time, And I just wondered how you set up the client authorative physics (or if you have any ressources), because that would solve my problem too. That’s it

There is a checkbox that you can tick that allows the user movement to not be checked on the server. I have looked for it for 30 minutes, and I can’t find it; there should however be something you can tick in the Project Settings or Editor Preferences menu that will allow this. That could be a solution… alternatively have a look at this: https://youtu.be/43Qr41NFx3c?si=3HQnMutrPAV0uMdx ← May be relevant for you.

For boats to work in MP/networked situations the ocean must be synced between server and clients, otherwise the sim will not match. This is done by setting a synced network clock between the clients when they initially talk w the server.

It looks like 5.3 has a some code to do this… Look into GetServerWorldTimeSeconds() in GameStateBase to see what it uses to sync the time clock. I haven’t dug around to see if they hooked it properly into the water system yet, but I wouldn’t count on it working out of the box.

In 4.25 I wrote a custom solution that syncs when the playercontroller connects that stores the delta (based on some roundtrip-halftrip multicasts) and passes that to the gerstner wave function in c++ and shader.

This isn’t trivial and will take significant c++ and networking knowledge to solve and use ATM.

Thank you so much for looking into the project settings for 30 minutes, If you find this tickbox maybe you can tell me