Slow Dash for Sidescroller

Hey everyone, im trying to implement a dash function to my Sidescroller Character.
On clicking Shift, i want him to dash left if he’s looking left or right if he’s right.

Dash using “Launch Character” is too fast.
If i change the Velocity, its just gonna change the lengths of the dash, not the speed.
Is it possible to slower the dash, while going the same distance?

Dash using “move component to” does exactly what i want to but,
it also dashes through walls and stuff. How can i disable that?

if both that commands wont work, is there another possibilty to create dashes?

(This is how its supposed to look like: sec 33-35)

Im glad about any help or clues i can get

Any solution for this, I would really like to do something like this. Not in a sidescroller but in third person. Anyways I ran into the same issue.

I will create something if this doesn’t help… if you look at him using launch it works pretty nicely iv don’t this whole tutorial and if you add a blur or a particle trail when he does it… looks pretty awesome.

ps can i have a screeny of your player on his screen so i can recreate the scene to test on for you…

ps the move component to ignores objects in path on its own you would have to do a line trace to see if the path was valid first before allowing it or you could turn on a colider on button press dash that disallowed movement between walls / player… turn it off when you stop the dash…

I’ve done this exact thing for Dash - the way we did it in our project was by using Set Timer by Function Name to make it and set the dashing actor’s position every frame to be a set velocity. With a setup like this you can be meticulous in how much velocity you add every frame to make sure it works.

0.01667 is roughly one frame @ 60 fps.

This dash function emulates what you would see in Megaman x1-3. For airdash you would need to temporarily set gravity to 0 for your dashing actor as well, and re-enable it after dash.

80945-capture.png

Hi Sentura, I tried to replicate it and it didn’t work. Could you explain it again please?

I posted everything you need to make it work. Connect a custom event to the SetActorLocation node, and write the name of your custom event in the Set Timer By Function. Then use a button or key event to activate the timer.

If this is too complex, I recommend you read up on the individual blueprint nodes to see how they functions, or try a different approach.