Slow cells loading, stuttering

Hello,

When the player move and a cell is loaded, the game thread slows down like a dying slug, even if the cell contains some trees and 5 rocks. It only lasts for a second but the impact is huge.
I switched from 5.1.1 to UE5.2.1 : no difference.
Landscape :
Components resolution : 128x128
Subsections : 1x1
Total count : 1024
Overall resolution : 4065 x 4065

I tried all sorts of cell size and loading range, including scaled on components size.

Any suggestion ? Thanks !

1 Like

I have the same problem. The longer you play and more regions you cross, the worse and longer the loading gets and your frame rate will slowly turn into a slideshow.

It’ll get worse as you add more actors to the point it will load for minutes and then freeze and crash. Once the shaders build it’ll be faster next time around but it’s always a problem.

I think the streaming is just not very good. It did improve a bit from 5.0 to 5.1. You can see the same stutter on the matrix demo on PS5. I don’t think they ever solved it.

Sorry I don’t have a solution. Reducing the cell loading range and lowering graphics settings helps a little.

I tried updating to 5.2.1 and now it uses gigabytes more video memory which exceeds my video memory by 2.5 GB, so that’s a new issue with the streaming now.

I’m just waiting patiently for Epic to fix these problems.

1 Like

Hello. I also experienced a lot of performance issues when working with level streaming, so I made a tool that helps you customize the budget for your project. Take a look if interested