Download

Slice Animation from 3DS Not Playing

I have a simple slice animation on a cube the I am trying to bring in from 3DS. It just slices from the top down. I can’t figure out how to get that animation into UE4. It’s bringing it in as a skeleton and I have animation checked like all of my other animations. I’ve tried exporting it from 3DS with Bake Animation checked, but that doesn’t work either. Is there a way to be able to bring in an animation like this?

You can’t export that type of thing to UE4. The slice modifier is a unique feature of 3ds Max and doesn’t translate to any other program. For UE4 you can export a skeletal animation, morphs, or simple object movement. There’s a way you can try to bake something like that using Alembic though where it bakes animation of every vertex for each frame but it may not work with slice since it changes the number of vertices.

Yep, that’s the problem I’m having. I found a plugin to bake the vertices, but it crashes because the number of vertices changes. I was curious if anyone had any other solution, or some way to get the same slicing effect in UE4.

Depending on the situation you might be able to morph it

I’m not familiar with morphs, but I’m just going to assume it won’t be able to do what I want. The idea is to be able to create sections cuts through an entire level, similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YANDNMqtFN8
I haven’t found a way to do it just in Unreal, so i was hoping there was some way to get the slice animation into Unreal…

If you want to bring it over from Max, your best bet would be alembic geometry cache export type. Morph and other such wont work vertices are changing drastically.

But I can imagine it would be a heavy scene in case of a complex object.

This sort of effect could probably be achieved by a material setup in UE using masks and opacity although i’m not sure how to go about it.