Sky-based anime VR game

I’m putting together some content for an anime style VR demo. It’s still pretty early but I’m intending to develop it using room-scale VR: http://imgur.com/a/lcCDI

Feedback welcome!

Intriguing project.
I like the concept drawing and the direction you seem to take.
Let’s see how it goes! :slight_smile:
If you wanna chat abouy VR, feel free to send me a message or post on slack.

Haha this happened on reddit too. The first shot is a rendering, the rest are from in-game using a cel shader, not drawings. :slight_smile:

Now that you mention it, it does look like one of your post process effects :smiley:
I guess I should have been more attentive.
Good job on the shaders by the way, I liked playing with them, but unfortunately they seemd to be too costly for the projects I was working on in VR.

Have you checked them out recently? Around December Epic fixed a long-standing bug stopping post process effects from using static param switches. You can optimise the shader to just the effects you’re interested in now.

That said, I like to have all my settings up high and even on my rig I find every maybe one out of ten times I launch in VR it just happens to drop below the target FPS and becomes jerky, even with timewarp.

I haven’t yet, been focusing on my area of expertise, VR interaction design.
But thanks for the tips, I’ll give it a try. :slight_smile:

Do you have any awesome secrets to share? I guess I should PM you. :slight_smile:

PM sounds good :wink:

Videos!

The helmet looks like this:

I found a little more time to work on this so I made some sweet 3d clouds that render in the view arc in front of the plane:

They’re meant to have some underside shading but they’re getting washed out quite a lot. It’s also a bit chunky around the edges, I need to set up my mesh to hide it better.

More videos! It’s coming along nicely!

Added stars at night:

And some more daytime shots:

I guess I’d better turn that bomber into a vehicle next.

Time for some realistic clouds:

Still based around a single static mesh and shader.

Added an infinite cloud plane to back up the main 3D clouds and a distant cloud bank:

I’ve split the cloud effect into its own marketplace asset, with some new samples and a demo you can play here: CloudFactory 3D procedural sky - Marketplace - Unreal Engine Forums

very cool, what technique did you use for 3d clouds? and how does it perform?

Around 60fps at 1080p on a GTX 980Ti with lower than ideal cloud settings. Slower on lower end cards which isn’t acceptable.

Right now it uses concentric translucent spheres that sample 3d noise in world space. The big slow-down is in the number of translucent polygons it needs to draw so I’m switching to a post-processing effect to see if that can improve it.

Sounds heavy but can’t argue with the results :wink: performance is actually pretty good considering everything, VR and all. let me know how the post-processing effect goes, show us some pics when it’s done :slight_smile:

VR needs to be 90fps minimum. Part of that 60fps figure includes a lot of things that have nothing to do with the clouds, but who wants to fly a plane without seeing the ground?

So far, although I’m having the worst shader day ever, when I’ve had something working it’s running a bit better. Much, MUCH higher quality for slightly improved speeds. Just gotta get it working again…