Sketchup to Unreal

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

…Once I figure out this “seaming” with an exported model from SketchUp in Blender; I should be good to go… for now I’m strugling with triangles, faces and seams :smiley:
If all else fails ; I enable GI in the config :smiley:

I understand you have a lot of things to do and that this will take time; thanks for thinking about it.

For people using Sketchup, as already stated, it does create multiple faces, so you’ll have normals pointing out on both sides. This may be changed within the export, I’m not sure, but it also creates multiple vertices as well. Which is also problematic. You just end up with a mesh that has way more faces and vertices than needed.
If you are bringing in Sketchup models into Blender, make sure to go into Edit Mode within Blender, select all and click “Remove Doubles”, this will merge everything together that reside within the same space.

Great tip, Gibdion!

Thanks for looking out for those who use Sketchup to Blender. I’ve not used Sketchup in quite some time but have run into that in the past with the extra verts!

Hi Gibdion,

Thanks for the info. I will look into this.

The 2 things I have not figured out yet is :

when I import a simple house with 5 walls (incl. bottom) (in one color) and a raised roof (in an other color) …like a simple “monopoly-game” house, I can only select one part with A. So how do I get all the faces on 1 UV map (2nd channel)

The other is; I think I make the right seams so the house should unwrap in 2 easy pieces (like with a cube that has 6 squares in a T-shape).
However It does not unwrap that way.

Thanks for any help and pointers :smiley:

Is this within Blender? I’ll have to check. I’m not with access to either. You may need to post a screenshot on those, but sound like the first is two different objects. Did the somehow get exported separated?

Hi Gibdion,

Thanks for your pointers. I have figured it out now. I export the object in one color from SketchUp to Blender (in Blender it then is 1 object). Then I remove the doubles, color the faces and make seams.
Not every object I have tried unwraps as I expect. But I will practice :smiley:

So it almost looks good now. I only have these very dark edges to solve.

Thanks again!

[EDIT]

I have found some info on the dark edges I can try:
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-lightmaps-03-how-to-fix-light-shadow-lightmap-bleeds-and-seams.php

Interesting. I bet this combined with the world’s ambient lighting probably produced some ill side effects on one my own problems.

wrong

e.g.

lots of sketchup in use.

per default, yes but you can change it:

• triple click your object
  • right click
  • make component
  • right click again
  • change axis

et voila

for someone coming e.g. from 3dsmax wanting to go open source: yes, very likely true.

…but…

as a beginner a definitely: no

i can teach anyone in this forums in 4-5 hours how to create any shape,
any object with any materials and level of detail.

it comes down the line: do you already have 3d modeling knowledge or not plus another point:
how detailed shall the model be.

often lots of detail can be achieved by texture only even without hp-baking.
or for the blockout process - nothing beats sketchup there.

but even higher detailes models are no problem with sketchup.
here a 6 year old example from me:

http://www.insidejob.in/uploads/2/1/2/6/21267748/5752804_orig.jpg

or here a test i made, sketchup to 3dCoat to … i forgot where i rendered it in…
http://www.insidejob.in/uploads/2/1/2/6/21267748/9153062_orig.jpg

here my first building i did for an arc-viz in sketchup.
post-edit and render by my boss at that time (4 years ago i guess):
http://www.insidejob.in/uploads/2/1/2/6/21267748/1714782_orig.jpg
big plus for sketchup: you can import architectural drawing from dwg/dxf directly
with almost no performance impact (anyone here having worked in the industry
will agree that max can be a real pain at that point).

also get important plugins here: Plugins • sketchUcation • 1

most important ones are all for free, e.g.: the purge plugin which easily deletes double sided faces that may cause your z-fighting.
somewhere in there you can also find uv-tools and stuff but my uv-tool of choice is 3dCoat anyway…tho…have fun :slight_smile:

Hi Gibdion,

I found that making “islands” works to get rid of the dark-egde.
I thought I had to make sure it unwrapped in a nice way with connected faces; like the T-shape of a cube (instead of 6 loose squares).

You can see how it worked out for me in this screenshot. The house on the right is a "Smart Unwrap form Blender with a 1.0 dist.) the other is with 2 “connected” sheets (based on seams) with the “manual” Unwrap.

I took the “Blank project” with no assets.
(I have not experimented with (post) light settings

Hi Staazvaind,

Thanks for the info.

How to export a model from sketchup pro in UE4?
I always error “Object has wrapping UVs”, as well as the walls and floor with some transparent sides.

Tried through the blender in between export and scan new set, but the effect is the same.

sketchup import ue4 video

Easy solution ? :slight_smile:

I think this plugin from Sketchup Extension Warehouse solved the problem :slight_smile: !!!

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/sketchuv

I exported from Sketchup in .obj to UE 4.7.1

4b182b080834acd085727d62a9859a67ac6650db.jpeg

I Think I found a easy solution.

Try SketchUV extension from the Sketchup Extension Warehouse. I think it solved the problem of bad UV when building lights.

I exported in .obj and used UE 4.7.1

4b182b080834acd085727d62a9859a67ac6650db.jpeg

So does the plugin work? Its last version is from 1 year ago.

It does, I use it, it works like a charm.

you add uv to sketchup “scene”? or to every object separately?

SketchUp -> Blender -> UE4

I thought I’d share my process for getting large sketchup models into ue4. I am particularly interested in large models from sketchup (eg. houses, buildings, infrastructure, etc) transferred to ue4 using some automated approach. At first it seems directly importing would be easier, but the problem is that large models contain many objects, and some of those objects are missing uv maps. I’ve written a custom blender script which checks each object and uv maps if needed (attached). I haven’t tried the SketchUV extension yet, but I’d be curious how it compares. Here is a video showing the step-by-step process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xor05mFMLI

I have a huge problem in importing FBX files. Is there someone to help me?

guys when i import a gun that i make from sketchup it keeps breaking into several chunks instead of a 1 solid model so did i do something wrong when importing or or im missing some steps that required to and im importing the gun as skeletal mesh