Skeleton does not exist in the project! Blender send to unreal plugin error

Hello!

I have downloaded a following model from the skechfab for some animation testing in blender Rigged Lynx Model - Download Free 3D model by Dupest destup (@pimanueledward) [18f9504] - Sketchfab

Once done I have tried to export model with its animations from Blender to UE5 using “Send to unreal” plugin. When trying to export a following error occurs:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/dependencies/rpc/factory.py”, line 221, in run_function_remotely
return remote_function(*args)
File “/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/3.1/python/lib/python3.10/xmlrpc/client.py”, line 1122, in call
return self.__send(self.__name, args)
File “/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/3.1/python/lib/python3.10/xmlrpc/client.py”, line 1464, in __request
response = self.__transport.request(
File “/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/3.1/python/lib/python3.10/xmlrpc/client.py”, line 1166, in request
return self.single_request(host, handler, request_body, verbose)
File “/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/3.1/python/lib/python3.10/xmlrpc/client.py”, line 1182, in single_request
return self.parse_response(resp)
File “/Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/3.1/python/lib/python3.10/xmlrpc/client.py”, line 1354, in parse_response
return u.close()
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/dependencies/rpc/client.py”, line 55, in close
raise exception(exception_message)
RuntimeError: The /Game/untitled_category/untitled_asset/lynx_body_Skeleton does not exist in the project!

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/operators.py”, line 71, in modal
raise error
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/operators.py”, line 61, in modal
function(*args, **kwargs)
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/core/ingest.py”, line 25, in import_asset
UnrealRemoteCalls.import_asset(file_path, asset_data, property_data)
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/dependencies/rpc/factory.py”, line 248, in wrapper
return rpc_factory.run_function_remotely(function, args)
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/dependencies/rpc/factory.py”, line 226, in run_function_remotely
raise exception.class(stack_trace).with_traceback(call_traceback)
File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/core/ingest.py”, line 25, in import_asset
UnrealRemoteCalls.import_asset(file_path, asset_data, property_data)
RuntimeError: The /Game/untitled_category/untitled_asset/lynx_body_Skeleton does not exist in the project! File “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/3.1/scripts/addons/send2ue/dependencies/unreal.py”, line 1122

I have tried to make a simple test armature in blender and tried to export it into Unreal - all worked fine. But this model I still don’t know why I can’t export and I don’t know why is it looking for a skeleton inside unreal when it should be created by the export/import itself

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Did anyone have a solution to this? I’m facing the exact same problem …

[EDIT] I just found a work around:
The problem seems to happen (or not) depending on your export paths in the Send To Unreal settings dialogue .

I can export without this error when I have export path set to:

• Mesh: /Game/Assets/Blender/
  • Skeleton: /Game/Assets/Blender/Animations/

Same file, only change being the export paths, throws errors with:

• Mesh: /Game/RnD/TestArt/
  • Skeleton: /Game/RnD/TestArt/Animations/

But this set works again:

• Mesh: /Game/RnD/TestArt/Assets/Blender/
  • Skeleton: /Game/RnD/TestArt/Assets/Blender/Animations/

So some combination of needing Assets or Blender in your export paths is needed to fix it. I don’t know why are exactly what the requirements are, but it’s working enough that I don’t care so good luck to anyone else in future with this issue!

(Note: This is all with UE5.1.1 and Blender 3.3.1 and SendToUnreal v2.3.0)

1 Like

On Version of SendToUnreal v2.3.1 this issue still remains but I found also a work around.

Rename your skeletal mesh in Unreal, save it and restart unreal and blender. Be sure that Unreal is first launched and then Blender. Then rename your skeletal mesh back, save it and relink the reference in Blender.

After this it worked for me :wink:

This is super annoying and you can actually reproduce that by checking console output and importing the bad fbx from the temp folder.

In my case it says “cannot delete referenced object”, figures the object name was the same name as texture file without extension. You can either rename the skeleton object or rename and reimport the texture (just renaming texture in Blender doesn’t help, probably because texture was packed).

There’s also an issue with multiple animations, it only exports one. Figures they both should be in NLA track. The easiest way to get them there is to select armature object in tree view and change actions, they will be added to NLA, then it exports multiple animations just fine.

Also on unrelated note, avoid re-scaling and Apply Transforms (Ctrl+A) for animated skeleton meshes it SEVERELY breaks animation. You can however use Apply Deltas for skeleton.

TL;DR check for name clash, in my case it was texture name and skeleton. Prefixes help.

Thank you! It works for me . The paths need to contain assets/blender.
I am using sendtoue v2.4.2