Size apk is too big (TappyChicken Project)

Hi,
I have big problems with the size of the apk file generated from TappyChicken project with ETC1: although I have followed all the posts in the forum (Decrease size of APK Memory Game - Platform & Builds - Epic Developer Community Forums or Why are android file sizes so big? - Mobile - Epic Developer Community Forums or …) at the end the file is always too big, about 50Mb.

If I look instead at GooglePlay the size of TappyChicken is only 32MB.

Now my question: how did you reach 32 Mb? can you please send me step by step the procedures to reduce the size?

because if I can not do it with TappyChicken, I can not even do it with my simple 2D project which has about the same size.

Thanks and best Regards,
Ivan.

same question for me!

Hey IZanirato,

I believe you will find our Packaging and Cooking documentation helpful when asking how and what to package specifically for your game. It will tell you the differences between Shipping builds and Development builds, and how to reduce their overall size by excluding certain files.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thank you,

Pure DENIAL ! An empty project is always 153mb (with nothing inside!). No answer at all, no tutorial, just links to other thread, where you can find zero solution… Ah yes, there is the mystical “blacklist.txt” solution, wich doesnt work (the empty project remains 153mb), wich you must be a soothsayer to use, because you cant find any tutorial…
No help at all, you just can’t make android/ios games with this engine… You wasted 50 hours to make a beautiful mini-game ? Just puts it in the trash, you will not be able to sell it, never.
Anyway, 32mb for a amiga500 game, it’s a shame !

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Please review this guide specifically for reducing APK size for Android:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Android/ReducingAPKSize/index.html

I hope it helps.

Cheers

so if i am reading that linked page correctly, we must start an entire new blank project? is there any way to get my functions, models, textures, and etc over to the new blank project? please advise

i created a new blank empty project with an empty map with all of the settings and compression in the linked page, and the apk is still 25 MB and the obb is 19 MB

So we recently added a Shader Permutation Reduction allowing you to disable certain shader models and lighting features to reduce memory usage and decrease app package size.

Try these out and let me know if you are still having problems.

Thanks,

If the APK is too big for play store, make sure it’s being built for “shipping” mode. The APK filename should have the word “Shipping” in it.