Proteus VR Template
First release: March 2016 (under the name "SteamVR Template"
Latest Version 6.2 (under the name “Proteus VR Template”)
Latest commit July 30, 2019
What can I do with that, that I cannot do with the “VR Template” in Unreal?
Well, rapidly: It’s single or multiplayer (LAN, Oculus Home or Steam); It uses Oculus Avatars (or not); It uses voice over IP (VOIP); full of nice features fully using Oculus functions; compatible Oculus Go/Quest/Rift/S and HTC Vive; minimum use of C++ (but still some, since some methods not possible only in blueprints); hey, we were the first to propose a template back in 2016!
FOR NOOBS: This is super simple. Even if you think Visual Studio is the name of a VFX/Hollywood startup somewhere around LA with people working in open spaces and flip-flops, it requires few manipulations to set up; I could add few instructions how-to on demand.
Download it at https://github.com/ProteusVRpublic/ProteusTemplate
Compatible with the following Unreal Engine versions:
Unreal Engine 4.22.3, Oculus Integration 1.39, , latest commit 5f77421 (July 25, 2019), found at https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine
** minor changes to the engine possibly / mandatory required
What’s new in version 6.2
- Unreal 4.22.3
- “Ghost” function for clients to appear / disappear
- Works with Oculus Quest, but in reduced 72Hz mode due to 1.39 plugin problem
- 1.39 enables FFR+MultiView+Vulkan
- 1.39 enables Avatars 64-bits on the Quest
- Oculus Plugin 1.39
- Oculus Platform SDK 1.32
- Oculus Audio SDK 1.34
- Oculus Avatar SDK 1.36
- Steam Platform 1.39
COMPILING UNREAL ENGINE FROM SOURCE
- Download the Unreal Engine .zip file from github (or sync through github app)
- Replace \Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Oculus\OculusAvatar with the files provided
- Open UE4.sln with Visual Studio
- Make the modifications needed to the engine if needed (SEE NEXT PAGE)
- Build UE4
- Build UnrealLightmass
- Download the latest Proteus Template .zip from github (or sync through github app)
- Right-mouse click on Proteus.uproject, Switch Unreal Engine Version, for correct engine version
- Open Proteus.sln with Visual Studio
- Build Proteus
- Now ready to open Proteus.uproject
Don’t hesitate to contact me [EMAIL=“firstname.lastname@example.org”]email@example.com .
REST OF DOCUMENTATION FOUND IN PDF FILE.