Download

Simulating force tension with cable components

After a lot of effort, I managed to figure out how to dynamically set a cable component’s end location via blueprints, but now I found out that there’s nothing about the cable component that keeps the length at the length you set. For instance, if you set the length equal to 100, but you’re 200 units (whatever units those are; centimeters?), the cable will be 200 units long and taut. It’s only once you get within 100 units that the cable will start to have some slack. In other words, unless I’m missing something, the cable doesn’t enforce any kinds of rules of force tension, which I’m looking for in order to get a pendulum sort of effect. If there’s a way to do this via the cable component itself, please stop me right now and let me know what I’m missing.

Otherwise, while it’s been a while since I’ve had a linear algebra or physics class, I think what I need to do is get the current velocity of my character and apply a force toward the focal point that the cable is attached to–a force that is exactly opposite of the current force away from the focal point that the cable is attached to. Thing is…how do I do that with two two location transforms and my current character object in Unreal? I know I can get my character’s velocity as a single vector, but am I on the right track in assuming that I need this for force tension? Would anyone be able to show me a quick pseudo-code screenshot of a blueprint to do what I’m trying to do?