Simulate physics detaches from socket

Hello Forums,

I have a blueprint with 2 components, 1 static mesh and 1 skeletal mesh. The skeletal mesh has a physics asset and a socket. The static mesh has a socket.

When I attach the skeletal mesh to the static meshes socket, it works fine. But when I enable physics on the skeletal mesh, it detaches itself and falls to the floor.

No matter which component is attached to either socket, I get undesired results. The only difference I can make is, one falls away or they both fall together.

Am I missing a trick or is this just not possible?

Sounds about right - that’s the whole point of simulating physics. What were your expectations, what’s the ideal scenario? Is this like a dangling piece attached to another mesh?

In order to have a simulated mesh that is still attached to something else, you’d need to define constraints - how far the simulating mesh can travel away from its anchor and whether angular restrictions play a role. Perhaps this is a job for the Physics Constraint component?

1 Like

What I’m aiming for is, for example, is a metal chain or rope that can be moved by the player, but stays connected to one or more points. So either hanging straight down or hanging in a U shape from a ceiling or bolted to a hook on a wall.

I can now make it so it doesn’t fall out the socket with constraints. I cant figure out how to get it to stay attached to two sockets at either end. Whichever socket it is attached to last, is the one it stays connected to.