Sims style building system?

I’m trying to make it so the player is able to build their homes to suite their needs. Sims style is what i’d like to do, I’ve seen this question posted many times and many different ways but from my research there doesn’t seem to be much info on how this is handled.

I’m not looking for a perfect answer just someone to point me in the right direction so I know what to google. From what I know and my best guess it would be something like this?

1. Make grid system.
  2. Get mouse cursor location relative to grid on first click.
  3. Place wall here from a spline and have it follow the mouse cursor, adding more as it gets bigger.
  4. Place last wall piece where the player clicks.
  5. Profit.

My problem with this is it either has to be a spline or some way I don’t know that exists, a grid is good but diagonal will look weird and a spline doesn’t allow the use of hisms which will absolutely kill frames on larger builds. What would be the best way to go about any of this? How would you handle connecting walls together or corners/intersections? Any good tutorial links?

I’d just like the player to be able to build the walls and floors with this system.

Any help appreciatted, thanc.

You could use a spline and add instances along it, ignoring spline mesh components completely.

But perhaps you could do just something along the lines of:

Image from Gyazo

Might be worth playing with. Not sure how complex this is supposed to be but I can’t see why it would not work.

1 Like

To clarify, I use shift above to scale a cube to make it look like a wall / floor. You’d use actual building pieces, ofc.