Simple Game Framework Server/Client Cheatsheet

I’m constantly trying to remember which classes appear on server/client/etc when working with Networked titles. So I made this stupid simple cheatsheet and it’s been pretty helpful, so I kicked it out as a PDF real quick. I wanted simple to digest and quickly reference, so don’t expect tons of detail. Also Excel doesn’t like going to PDF, so forgive the weird lines width.

Hopefully it helps others out there.

Thanks for the feedback. Updated.

I like it. However I like how Nuno Afonso did it with the overlapping circles. http://www.nafonso.com/. I think I may add what you put in there into that diagram.

By all means, there’s ton of ways to display that info. A table is just the easiest for me. :slight_smile:

Can you explain what you mean when you say GameInstance “does not store data”? I’m using a derived GameInstance class to store a handful of “globals” in my single player game, since I understand it persists from start to finish.

You can’t save a game instance object, is what is meant by that. So if you have some player data or something and it’s only kept there - you won’t be able to save/load it from disk. But yes, the Game Instance lives throughout the lifetime of the application, so you can place objects on it as long as those objects have some way to store their data between application lifetimes.

I see. I’m just mainly curious what people do that have refactored their code 5 million times lol. I’ve been playing about replicating some RPG style user interface and inventory management, trying to learn Unreal as I go, and wasn’t really sure what “best practices” were for Where to store my inventory and character stats, assuming that information would be pulled from a webserver at runtime.

If you have DB, then yes, you’d store that info there. Otherwise you’d store it on the Player State which you could save/load.