Simple fur in Ue5

Hello everyone! I’ve been struggling to find a way to create some simple fur material for archviz - hairy pillows, carpets etc.

I haven’t found a single way of either creating a material inside Ue5 or of a simple way using different software and exporting to Ue5.

Any pointers/help/tips appreciated!

(3) Hair at a Strand Level | Grooming your creations in Unreal Engine - YouTube

Thanks for the reply but this doesn’t really answer my question. I don’t consider any of the techniques in that video to be ‘easy’…

So there is no way to actually create fur inside Ue5 but rather have it imported and manipulated? Does anyone know if there are any plans to extend the material editor into having fur materials?

There’s some older marketplace stuff that sounds like what you want, advanced fur shader and etc. However I don’t see any that are compatible with UE5.

Thanks for replying. Yep I’ve seen them, but as you said nothing seems to be working for Ue5

The Meercat is a good example of how they made the Meercat fur
(1) The Making of ‘Meerkat’ Real-Time Hair & Fur Short | Spotlight | Unreal Engine - YouTube
I have easily imported this. I even switched used it on Nanite, but was a disaster🤣

the GFur plugin would work well for this

Yes, but it’s not compatible with UE5.

Soon hopefully…

Trying to work with fur in UE5 has been a really frustrating experience. I’ve repeatedly run into the issue described in this thread. None of the quick “faux-fur” displacement solutions provided above, that worked so well in 4.27, work in UE5. For anyone who can afford it, Ornatrix’s brand new plugin looks like a possible solution until gFur arrives, but the trial is limited-- you can’t run a UE simulation on the hair/fur-- and the plugin is a little expensive, though on sale right now.

Really hope to see some YouTube tutorial with a Hail Mary process for getting something resembling fur to work in Unreal-- without it costing an arm and a leg for those of us who don’t have Maya, Houdini or other apps.

hi @dwgriffith, there is a a new two days old Official Tutorial which may be useful
Rendering Hair and Fur Elements for DCC Compositing | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

Bad news: I got in touch with the developers of GFur and they told me they will NOT be releasing a UE5 compatible version…

Did they give you any reason why they wouldn’t be updating it to 5.0? That is really surprising. I wonder if there is some technical issue.

Use parallax occlusion mapping to simulate this effect.