Simple cable component partially passing through generated cylinder

Hello all,

Using UE 5.3.2, I’m trying to build a simple pulley / cable simulation. The first step was to drape a cable component over a basic cylinder.

This is the closest I’ve been able to get it - the cable mesh goes through the cylinder. It’s generated with modelling tools. The number of cable segments is 70, if I bump it to 80 it just goes right through the cylinder.

If you zoom into the scene the cable is “jittering”, like the physics collision mesh and cable resolver are ping-ponging back and forth with some floating issues or something.

The physical material generated for the cylinder are all default settings.

At first I tried using capsule simplified collision, but that didn’t work - so instead used the “Auto Convex Collision” menu commands default settings and got the screenshot above.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

So I’ve figured out that it’s Substepping that seems to be controlling how much actual physical simulation is happening, if that makes any sense.

I have “Use Substepping” enabled, and depending on how I tweak the “Substep Time” floating point, it greatly affects where the cable rests after the simulation is resolved.

The higher the substep time, the cable actually just goes right through the cylinder. The lower it is, the “tighter” the cable becomes. Does anyone have any insight on why that is?

I can get it to rest on the cynlinder now, but it seems to affecting the elasticity of the cable really, which is not really what I want to do here.

Thanks!

One last update for tonight: when I reduce the “Cable Gravity Scale” to 0.1 instead of 1 it does what I want - however, it seems weird to me. This must not be the correct way to do this.

There must be some property I’m missing that says “do not ever go through this physical material”…

Would be great to get insight from someone who understands Chaos physics!

Thank you.