Silver Bay

Project created for CommonPoint and D2 competition. Heavily inspired by the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
The scene was built and rendered in Unreal Engine 5, with use of 3ds max, Substance Painter and Megascans.

Link to artstation with some still images

9 Likes

Hi there @BartPal,

Hope you’re well and having a wonderful week so far :slight_smile:

Wow, what a beautiful environment. The transparency of the water and the dreaminess of the lighting is just breathtaking. It somehow manages to feel natural and futuristic at the same time. Brilliantly done!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us here on the forums. If you don’t mind answering, what was the biggest challenge when creating this environment?

Hello @PresumptivePanda
I am really glad you like my work! Thank you so much for super kind words!

The biggest challenge would be probably the water (although there were multiple other ones too haha). I used simple Single Layer Water shader which is super handy, easy to use and produces really nice and convincing results, but for some reason it receives hard and sharp shadows from other objects on its surface, even when light is fairly diffused.
I found workaround it by editing INI file and was able to blur shadows to make them more realistic

2 Likes

Considering that the water was what initially caught my eye for managing to look both polished and beautiful, I’d say that was time well spent :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, do you currently have any other projects in the works? Something for us forum fans to look forward to?

Wow @BartPal, this is absolutely amazing. Can I ask what is inside the buidings or what do you think would be inside them. Are they dwellings or a scifi outpost?

Thank you! While I was working on it, I imagined the buildings as a place where you can escape from craziness of modern world to enjoy pure nature for couple of moments

1 Like

How were Megascans incorporated into the project’s assets or environment? :thinking:

@Simon23135 Pretty heavily! All trees, rocks and logs are from megascans library