Show character in widget - best practices?

Hi there,

I’m trying to achieve an effect similar to how it’s described in this question here (I didn’t want to comment, it’s rather old): Show character in Inventory system - Editor Scripting - Unreal Engine Forums

There’s a few possible solutions I can think of:

1. Having capture rooms outside of your world (seems to be a popular approach in several tutorials) - I don’t really want to have seperate rooms outside of the sky sphere, I don’t want to clutter my space and it doesn’t seem very failsafe either.

2. Appending a camera to the player actor - this might be possible but I’d like the capture to have transparent background and no other players blocking the view. Is it possible (without much of a hassle) to tell a camera to ignore anything else and only show certain actors? ^^’

3. Sub levels for rendering previews - was suggested in the linked post. Might be a big performance hit just for showing a preview?

4. The OP mentions the experimental Viewport class. The forum post he linked to doesn’t seem to have any more information on it though. I found you can inherit the class, but I have no clue on how to use it and didn’t find anything either.

I found this documentation entry here: UViewport | Unreal Engine Documentation

I’d really like to know more about Viewports. Is there any other documentation or tutorial on this? How “experimental” is it? Is there any relevant performance hit when I have one viewport per player and use them to render character previews in empty worlds?

Thanks in advance and cheers!