Should I Compress textures before import and texture formats

e.g. Using Photoshops save for web for lower file sizes, or is this pointless because ue4 will re-compress them anyway. Also what would be better: using more .png files for textures or using less .tga’s but utilizing the extra alpha channel so less textures (but .tga file sizes are much larger). Cheers.

Hi Mikeesupercrunchy -

This is a tricky question to answer because it has no straightforward answer. First, the engine does do its own compression so I would not double compress your textures. On the second point, it depends on your own project which is better for you to use. I personally have a tendency to use TGAs for my normal maps and PNGs for most other textures, but that is not a hard and fast rule. There really is no strong support for one over the other.

Thank you,

Eric Ketchum

Hi Eric, I am also wondering something similar. I’ve been using TGA files for all textures in UE4 but am considering switching to PNG for lower file sizes and convenience. Are there any benefits to using TGA files in UE4? I read somewhere that TGAs are better for mip mapping and faster load times. Is there any truth to this or can I expect the same result either way?
Thanks!