Should I begin this?

Hi!

I am an architect and I thought it would be amazing to design and create places with this. I am kinda quick to learn and I have previously begun learning visualbasic a long time ago, processing and some stuff so I guess I dont really know c++ but perhaps I have itsy bitsy more experience then the average Joe. I just wonder if I should mpay for this and learn? I can put a maximum of 5-6 hours per week into learning it and I dont want to spend my freetime if I basically have to become a programmer.

Would love any input on the matter!

HI 7raafy,

i am no expert on UR4 but i did spend a lot of time working with UDK(UR3) and i would say if your looking to just show off environments virtual walkthroughs with UR4, I would say you would little to no hard codeing in c++.

I would say you will need level design (UR4), but you will need parts to build your environment with, which has to be done outside of ur4, skills/programs like 3D modeling (3dsmax) and texturing

hope this helps(photoshop)

Ohh yeah I know rhino really well and 3dmax is similar. Level design doesnt take long to learn?

Thanks for the reply!

definitively yes !

give it a try, for what you are planning to do , programming is not very very important

you need to learn level design , BSP geometry, materials, lighting, and some modeling with an external program (like blender/max/maya …etc)

There is no reason to use c++ unless you need to write very complex systems. You can do almost anything with blueprints.

You just want to walk through environments with UE4, right?

If so, everything is already done by Epic Games. The engine itself is very complete and easy to use. In other words, you just have to create the scenarios and you’re ready to go.

What the guys are saying about level design is exactly what I told: scenarios, environments. You have to create them by your own and then you’ll have something your customers will fall in love.

TL;DR: If you’re looking to create interactive, fancy looking interiors, then UE4 is definitely something you should look into. If you’re just looking for a tool to help you model and design the actual building structures, then you’d be better off with a modelling tool that was built with 3D modelling in mind. UE4 is more about adding interaction and life to levels with loaded in assets, it wasn’t really built to handle the actual modelling side of things, unless you’re dealing with basic primitives.

With Blueprint (UE4’s visual scripting system), you’ll probably never need to look at code for most things you’d need.

If you’re looking to create fly-by’s of your architecture, UE4 seems like a really great choice. You can harness the power of Blueprints (don’t confuse that with actual architecture blueprints) to create things like information popups as you enter rooms, or dynamically change the layout to show how a room could be built differently. You can also harness the power of UE4’s amazing lighting system and show off how your architecture will look in a lot of different lights, dynamically, as they move through the building.

The only thing I’m thinking is that if you’re looking to create fancy looking interiors, you’ll need to spend a fair bit of time looking into 3D modelling too (UE4 isn’t really built for creating those types of assets in-engine), so you may need to look into using paid 3D modelling software or a free alternative like Blender.

Either way, $19 is worth the pay even if just to play around with the tutorials. You’ll soon decide if it’s the right tool for you after you’ve seen the potential it has.

Also, on the topic of not wanting to put in all of your free time: The “Creating a level” video tutorials are a great guide to getting started with BSP brushes and understanding how and when to use Additive or Subtractive brushes, and it should only take you around an hour to go from 0 to a working room with an interactive sliding door. Plus Zak’s an awesome tutor.

I’m still pretty new to all of this, but I’d guess the hardest part is getting into the mind-set of designing in sections and piecing it all together.

1. Planning - Lay out a floor plan with basic primitives in UE.
  2. Modelling - Modelling the assets for the building; e.g. Light fixtures, wall braces, window frames etc.
  3. Styling - Adding materials to the models to give the level some style.
  4. Lighting - Setting up lighting in the level to add some depth.
  5. Interactivity - Adding any blueprints to your level to make it interactive.
  6. Pizazz (Optional) - Adding finishing touches such as dust particles and sounds to make your level even more realistic.

So really, it depends which areas you’d consider difficult or “long” to learn. Learning the different parts in sections seems like an easy way to go, since then you won’t be bogged down with learning about lighting and blueprints while you’re trying to lay out a floor plan.

There’s a pretty good level in the Content Examples asset that highlights a good plan and steps for best approaching level design.

Edit: Man I write way too much just to get out of doing actual work.

Hi , I would like to know if there is a definite pipeline to import meshes from rhino 5…i have an interest in virtual architecture…thanks

That depends on what file formats Rhino 5 can export. If you can get .FBX out then you should be golden.

Rhino can export FBX decently from what I can tell (they show up in UE4 lol)… I am a absolute beginner in game development/UE4 so maybe this is a noob issue but my models from rhino don’t really work well. Like the UV curves or whatever are all wacky where material doesn’t apply to it very well at all.
I included an example of something I made real quick to test. Anyone have ideas on how to fix? NURBS type models are not quite as malleable as objects like in zbrush or maya etc, so Idk what to do. I could make some progress if I can figure this out otherwise my 5 years of NURBS type experience isn’t very useful to me for what i want to do. :frowning: My models I use to make jewelry so they are more suitable for 3d printing and stuff like that.

anyone have any advice, or tutorials? I have tried searching all over the place for a “Nurbs to UE4” or “Nurbs to game engine” and various combinations of these terms no luck.

pic

fbx File if you want to see/test
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1erDsS4GNgqZmRyaVVtM2M0SzA/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: here stood rubbish :stuck_out_tongue:

Or to be at least a little bit constructive …
I bet its coming from the conversion from nurbs to polygons as game engines tend to chew polygons only. (Therefore your unsuccessful search)
Maybe converting it to polygons in another application to control/confirm the outcome?

apparently I never thought to look up “UV mapping” for rhino. I learned a lot in the last 24 hours haha. Though I doubt rhino is the best for UE4, I was able to successfully make some simple stuff so far. With T-Splines for rhino I could do what you said and convert it to a better file format more friendly to UE4. I just need to find the best way to model and UVmap things properly now I guess.

thanks for all the information guys