Shooter Procedural Aiming - support thread

What’s the better setup for true first person out of project 1 and 2 full body?

I can’t really tell the difference between the two and they feel the same to shoot etc, I already integrating number 2 into my project and now I’m wondering what the differences are, any in sight before I start replicating it would be great, thanks.

Hey, I’ve just answered you question in the store page, here it is:

One advantage of full-body 1 over full-body 2 is that for firing you just call the hip fire anim sequence and it works both as hip fire and aiming fire, nothing more is needed as long as the sequence is set to additive. In full-body 2, when aiming, the hip fire anim sequence actually doesn’t move the bones so I inserted a curve asset inside the sequence and I use additional nodes in the anim bp to extract the values from this curve and move the bones directly via TransformBone nodes when aim firing. So, regarding firing, the full-body 1 is simpler.

On the other hand, full-body 1 uses one more virtual bone than full-body 2, which makes full-body 2 simpler in that regard… I hope this helps you visualize the differences!

Hi, just got this asset recently and had no issue integrating this with my project except for one issue.

I am using the Arms Only 2 method. My guns come from different asset packs, but the skeleton (mannequin arms) is still the same, however one of the particular skeletons seems to have a problem with the two bone IK despite being the same skeleton as all others.

I had closed my project and it was working, but when I re-opened it, the arms were twisted and pointed the wrong direction when the two bone IK was connected with the animations specific for that gun (all other guns works perfectly fine). I deleted the animations and retargeted them again through different ways and tried again through the originial way I used and everytime it does not work, the arms are twisted and not moving to the correct position.

I was wondering if there is anything that you think might be causing this issue? Thanks.

Hello!

I’ve seen some retargeted anims not work very well with the procedural aiming, so far I haven’t found out the exact reason…

You said that one particular skeleton seems to have the problem, are you using different skeletons or are you playing all anims on the same skeleton and some anims have the problem while others don’t?

Could you please double check the sockets rotation on the gun that has the problem?

Hi,

The skeletons are different but “technically” the same. It’s the SK_Mannequin_Arms and I got several of them from different asset packs I downloaded. All the bones and whatnot are the same.

I also had a similar issue a few days ago with my rifle arms which also was incorrectly pointed and twisted. Deleting the animations and retargeting them again solved it, I tried the same with my new problem arms, but it didn’t solve it. Also, in both instances I had closed the project and everything was working correctly and it was only when opening the project later on that immediately the arms would have this issue.

Another thing as well is that the arms cannot play animations at all, even just in the idle animation, the arms are all twisted and pointed incorrectly. I rechecked all my sockets and everythings correct there.

Could it be a bug with UE5 and when starting the editor it might cause an issue with the IK?

Some people have reported to me that when they rotated the socket to a theoretically “wrong” rotation (eg. Z axis not pointig up), it worked. But these are cases in which only the aiming is misaligned, when in idle there’s no issue. If you are having issues even in idle, then it might be a different problem.

To find out, it would need to be tested in UE4 to see if happens too… but I suspect it’s some value under the hood that’s not applied until the editor is restarted.

It’s hard to know what’s going on under the hood in Unreal. I have some suggestions of things you can try to see if it goes away, like using the same skeleton for your characters (if they’re all using separate skeletons that are actually identical) - if the problem persists, at least you narrowed it down to specific animation sequences.

Another suggestion is (since it only happens when the IK nodes are connected) to go to a version of your character in which you didn’t add any part of my asset and test if using TwoBoneIK nodes on him will cause the issue.

None of these will guarantee that you’ll find the solution and it’s likely that the problem will persist for some of your animations or skeletons. And if you’d like a refund because of this, we can do that.

Hello, apologies for the late reply, but I was tinkering around with a few things and sort of found the cause.

The only skeleton affected by the issue is the skeleton I retargeted from for my SMG animations. I mentioned that the retargeted animations only have an issue when my Two Bone IK nodes are connected.

I went into the Two Bone IK nodes and what worked as changing the Joint Target Location Space to Bone Space instead of Component Space and setting the Joint Target to ‘None’. The retargeted animations started animated properly.

However the ADS for the retargeted anims still don’t work, although at least the arms are not ruined although the ADS for all my other anims are now off-centre.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what is happening with that skeleton?

If the skeletons are the same it shouldn’t be happening… Even if they have different proportions (but bone names, order and default rotations are the same) it does work because I’ve tested on Epic’s Paragon characters that have big proportions differences, but use the same bone hierarchy as the mannequin. Sights align normally, because what the code does is to place the bone in front of the camera, overriding the original bone position as commanded by the anim sequence being played.

So I suspect the problem might be in the animation sequence that was generated for that skeleton when it was retargeted, because this is a problem I did see occur already. So you only see it when you use that skeleton, but because you only use that anim sequence when you use that skeleton…

Anyway, whether the issue is in the skeleton or in the animation, it’s something under the hood in the engine that I wasn’t able to discover. Might be related to additive layers of translations/rotations to make the different skeletons compatible with the different animations, but it’s a bit beyond my reach, unfortunately…

Would be cool to see a tutorial on how to replicate it properly.

Hey thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into this…

Any tutorials in how to use this with the UE5 Manny mannequin? I tried myself and it’s not working, so I need a bit of help.

Hi, I suppose it would be a matter of retargeting the animations? Though I haven’t yet tried…

Replicated Shooter Procedural Aim for implementation into my game ExORION Survivor XPS.

Thanks for posting this! Feels really good to see you guys expanding on the asset!

Whats fastest way to use my own Lower Body animations?

I guess you’d use a LayeredBlendPerBone node in the anim BP to play your anims only on the legs/pelvis/spine and my anims only on the arms and head if you want.

1 Like

Appreciate the rapid response. I’ll give it a try and post my result. Thank You.

LayeredBlendPerBone node in the AnimBP works Great for custom legs/pelvis/spine Animation!

Now I’m going to apply to UE5 Manny. A little nervous after reading the comments above:

KoalaCaper

Dec '22

Hi,

The skeletons are different but “technically” the same. It’s the SK_Mannequin_Arms and I got several of them from different asset packs I downloaded. All the bones and whatnot are the same.

I also had a similar issue a few days ago with my rifle arms which also was incorrectly pointed and twisted. Deleting the animations and retargeting them again solved it, I tried the same with my new problem arms, but it didn’t solve it. Also, in both instances I had closed the project and everything was working correctly and it was only when opening the project later on that immediately the arms would have this issue.

Another thing as well is that the arms cannot play animations at all, even just in the idle animation, the arms are all twisted and pointed incorrectly. I rechecked all my sockets and everythings correct there.

Could it be a bug with UE5 and when starting the editor it might cause an issue with the IK?

PROCEDURAL ADS TWO BONE IK BROKEN FOR UE5 MANNY
I retargeted Animations from UE4 to UE5 added VB Bones to UE5 Skeleton. TWO BONE IK for hand_r & hand_l work individually, but do not work when connected in series :frowning:

That’s weird, I just tested the procedural aiming with the UE5 manny and TwoBoneIK was not broken, please see the video:

Does this project that you’re testing contain extra stuff that you added or is it purely the procedural aiming asset?