Shoot Projectile Up/Down (SideScroller)

I have a projectile that now shoots left/right based on Actor Rotation.
But I can’t figure out how to get projectile to shoot up/down?

When making the transform:
Rotation – > Pitch 90 (works, but when my character flies upward, the projectile stops in mid air when the player gets to certain height. No good.)

I am curious how Unreal Engine handles Y axis from a rotation?
Is there a node or combination of nodes I need to use?

Any insight would be helpful, thank you!!!

instead of having a set location of either shoot “up” or “down” why not track the mouse, and let the player shoot in whatever direction they want? Your game might not permit this kind of gameplay, its just an idea.

Thanks for the reply…
I wanted to do this initially, but couldn’t figure out how to fire at 2d location in a 3d world.

When I create the Make Transform, there is ROTATION
I wasn’t sure how to convert Rotation into Mouse X,Y,Z locations

Could you direct me on how to do this?

Im not the best programmer, and my knowledge of blueprints isnt the best. But, from that rotation variable/node can you drag a node and chose “break vector”? That SHOULD break the rotation into x,y,z coordinates. If you could upload your file that would be amazing, because then i could just try to work out a solution for myself. And i imagine if you want to do the mouse thing that you would just have to limit the mouse to X and Z so it can never move back or forward.( which i assume is what is done with the character if its a side scrolle r) Im not 100% positive how to do this exactly. Sorry im not much of a help, just throwing ideas out there for you to try.

Hey DreamBotStudios,

I’ve created a modification from my other tutorial for Top Down / Other projects and made it work for SideScrollers. I will be releasing a tutorial on this soon, but for now so you can get started. Feel free to modify the setup to your preference, I just want to give you something that is play tested.

Part 1: Setup the Sphere & Aim’er

Part 2: Setup the Rotation and Projectile Spawn

I will also be following up with a Tutorial on creating Custom Crosshairs usable for SideScrollers, Top Down, FPS, RPG, and other common game types.

Peace

Holy Goodness!!! Thanks a bunch man.
Will test it out now.

I truly appreciate the explanation. Should be very helpful for the community as well.

My pleasure. I tested this in the Side Scroller Blueprint Project, if you have any issues let me know. I will record the tut today and explain more why I set it up this way. But once you have it up, I’m sure you’ll understand why.

Good to hear! Make sure to play test it and let me know if any problems occur. Your input is appreciated.

Ok did some testing, but my projectile is still only going in one direction.

My velocity in project is: 100 (x)

Is there something I am missing on the projectile?
Because it only spawns in one direction (which seems to be set in Projectile Blueprint).

Whoops!!! It worked…

My fault, I misread the “Viewport Size” Instead of (.5) I had 5.
Now it makes sense. Thanks again.

Flawless Victory!!!