Shipping build crash. How to track it down

OMG everyone,

I have a crash that is only happening on shipping build.
I have no errors appearing on my dev build.

The crash happens immediately on load and is an unhandled exception reading address 0x0000000000000020

The minidump file doesn’t seem to help as there is no error info and I’m not sure if there is a way to enable debug symbols on a shipping build.

Before you ask:
I have essentially rebuilt the project on a new drive, removed/recreated all cached data and folders in the local appdata drive and in the project folder. The issue is very recent, I do a lot of compiling. I’ve undone any/all recent changes leading up to this.

What the next logical step is here to track this down?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Do you have warnings in the log in editor?

1 Like

There are some warning yes but they are the same ones that I’ve had for a while and just need to clean up. Shipping builds have been fine with these warnings, but I’ll check again to make sure no new warnings are present.

Looks like I do have a few new warning types in there that I haven’t seen before.

LogPhysics: Warning: Failed to cook convex: /Game/Medieval_Town_Houses_1_0/Geometry/SM_Roof_Modules/SM_SM_MH_T_01_Roof_connector_01.SM_SM_MH_T_01_Roof_connector_01 18 (FlipX:0). The remaining elements will not get cooked.
LogPhysicsCore: Warning: PHYSX: (D:\Build++Fortnite\Sync\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\PhysX3\PhysX_3.4\Source\PhysXCooking\src\convex\QuickHullConvexHullLib.cpp 937) eINTERNAL_ERROR : QuickHullConvexHullLib::findSimplex: Simplex input points appers to be coplanar.

This looks like it could be the issue.

1 Like

Not sure resolving that warning has fixed it, the first build still has the same error,. Deleting the cached data and trying again.

A bit closer, maybe…

1 Like

Does the shipping build crash on your development computer?
If so, you can start the executable from visual studio, which should let you actually catch the bug and get a stack trace, which might help pinpoint what’s going wrong.

Else, put in log statements between each statement in your startup code (C++) then when you see where it crashes, drill in one function, and put log statements between each statement in THAT function, and so on. Very tedious, but does get to the solution in the end.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I was searching for how to start the exe or attach to the process from visual studio earlier, I’ll resume that effort.

YES!
After removing cached data and resolving this warning a shipping build is finally running again. 5 days! I can’t thank you enough @ClockworkOcean. I would have not scrutinized the warning messages as closely for a long time without your suggestion.

Here was the trigger of the exception and the final resolution.

This node firing at run time in any blueprint in a shipping build… apparently is not allowed in 4.26.2.
Resolution was disabling this node.

1 Like

Excellent. Yes, shipping can be a lot less forgiving that editor… :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks!!! you just saved me a lot of work! on top of that i am building for iOS, so i didnt knew where the issue was. I hope all the issues in unreal were so easy to solve. Thanks again!!!

1 Like

This node isn’t “allowed” in shipping?? How do we set all the quality settings as a group then??