Ship a complete left-handed editor configuration profile (not just viewport navigation)

Hi everyone,

I’d like to raise a point that I believe is systematically overlooked in Unreal’s editor design: left-handed users.

Around 10% of the population is left-handed, yet the entire editor — not just viewport navigation — is built around right-handed defaults:

  • Viewport navigation: RMB + WASD assumes the left hand stays on the keyboard while the right hand controls the mouse. Alt + RMB drag (orbit/zoom) is awkward when the mouse is held in the left hand.

  • Blueprint editor: Graph navigation relies heavily on RMB drag, LMB + drag, and modifier combinations (Ctrl/Shift/Alt + click) that all assume a right-handed mouse grip.

  • Sequencer: Timeline navigation and keyframe operations use similar asymmetric mouse+keyboard patterns.

  • General shortcuts: Ctrl+C/V/Z, F2, Ctrl+S, etc., are all optimized for the left hand on the keyboard and the right hand on the mouse.

Now, I’m not asking for a full redesign. The shortcut system is already fully remappable and preset-based (Maya, 3ds Max, Blender presets ship by default). The infrastructure exists — what’s missing is a complete left-handed profile.

What I propose:

Ship a left-handed.ini (or equivalent) configuration file bundled with the Editor, loadable from Edit > Editor Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, that remaps the full editor experience for left-handed use:

  • Viewport: orbit, pan, zoom, framing, selection, camera movement

  • Blueprint: graph pan, zoom, selection, node creation, connection dragging

  • Sequencer: timeline navigation, keyframe manipulation, scrubbing

  • General: selection, duplication, saving, and other common actions

Users could then fine-tune it, but they’d have a working, comfortable starting point instead of spending hours rebuilding every binding from scratch.

Why this matters:

  • Accessibility: Ignoring ~10% of your user base isn’t neutral. It signals “you’re not the target audience.”

  • Competitive: Blender, Unity, and DaVinci Resolve all allow deep remapping, and some ship left-handed profiles or make it trivial to create them. Unreal is behind here.

  • Cost: A preset file costs almost nothing to produce and maintain. The remapping system already exists.

I know many left-handed users (myself included) who struggle with this daily, and some who avoid certain tools entirely because of it. A single complete preset file would go a long way.

If this already exists somewhere and I missed it, I’d be glad to be corrected — but from what I can find, there’s no official left-handed editor profile.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you’ll consider this for a future release.