Sheer Curtain Material Problem

hello
im trying to create a sheer curtain material but what ever method i try i get effect some of these horizontal strips in the curtain that seems that they are backward
does anybody know what is causing this?
thanks in advance

Is there actually a texture in the albedo, or is it just grey?

Does the texture tile?

1 Like

thanks for your response
there is a texture in albedo and it does tile but this happens even if i use color3 instead of a texture. it only appears when the opacity is higher then around 0.4.
this happens also in material setup below

If you take the first material, and set repeat to 1, does it still happen?

Are the UVs on the mesh ok?

1 Like

it happens even if tiling once and the UVs are okay.
it happens also on other curtain meshes

Ok ( looks good ). But is that in your modelling SW? Can you show the UVs in engine, if so…

Does it happen on a plane / cube also?

I wonder if you can PM me with the texture ( or put it here ), and I’ll give it a go…

1 Like

the picture i sent is from the engine
no it doesn’t happen on basic shapes
here is a zip file containing the texture the curtain mesh and text file which if you copy the contents of it inside a material in ue it will give you the same material that im using
also thanks for your time i appreciate it
SheerCurtain.rar (9.7 MB)

2 Likes

I think it’s something to do with this. Front with test mat

But… back with test mat

When you make it translucent, this stuff on the back is showing though.

( You can forget about opacity for now )

Something to do with the way the fresnel is combining the front with the back.

1 Like

Just looking at the curtain in Blender now, the front and back are the same thing. That’s the problem somehow…

1 Like

Here’s my attempt

Because, a curtain isn’t actually translucent ( I don’t know what core material settings you used ). I used ‘surface / masked’.

Like this

The tiling is set pretty low to allow the holes to show.

Different settings for close up ( you can cross-fade that with camera distance in the mat ).

2 Likes

I first too though it was the Fresnel because as I removed the pattern was gone but tweaking the parameters the pattern reappeared again also tried giving the mesh some thickness but it didn’t do much.
my bet is that it got smt to do with lumen because the same material looks completely fine when I set the Translucency mode in ppv to ray tracing or using the path tracer
here my best result useing the second material:
i used translucent unlit here
also sheer curtains are translucent i think

Yeah, it’s tricky, up to you really.

If we’re trying to be ‘real’, then refraction doesn’t come into it. Also unlit, does just look like that, as they do have ambient occlusion going on normally.

The original problem is that the back and front are the same space in Blender. With real curtains, it’s a separate space. No idea how to do that in Blender. I also tried solidifying, no good.

You could also get a better texture, because this is some sort of cotton weave and doesn’t have holes in it.

Anyway, ideas… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello. I have something similar in the curtains, and it’s really weird, tried different textures and really strange.

In Path Tracing it working perfectly.

hello
did you try two sided?