Sharper image without the edge artifacts

Wow, this is really nice! I’m going to use it for all my scenes now because I can’t go back to half blurry textures now haha.
Thanks alot!

The code is just the material nodes. You connect the output of Sharpen with Emissive after you copy the code and paste it into the material.
Blueprints, materials, etc are all copied as text when you mark them and do ctrl+c. Which is really convenient for sharing. :slight_smile:

oh. i got it!
thank you so much!

Hi Hallatore,
This looks really awesome. I have a question, using the default 4.19 build, and your material, what settings would you recommend for:
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight
r.TemporalAASamples
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen

Thanks! :smiley: :slight_smile:

Hardest part is to settle on a sharpen value. 0.5 seems too strong and less than that is unhappy. :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for sharing.

using this postprocess material works as a replacement for r.ToneMapper.Sharpen, and I keep the postprocess material’s sharpen param as 0.4 if I remember correctly
as for the other values, I find it good if I use TemporalAASamples as 4 and TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight between 0.05 and 0.1 depending on the project

as usual I still find the temporal reprojection to be lacking (causing ghosts), and for me changing the CurrentFrameWeight based on the camera location delta (vs the prev frame) still is the most decent solution for this. I added that into a project by modifying the engine source but I think I might be able to do it now just by modifying the engine shaders. I’ll get to try it eventually :smiley:

In the screenshots I think all those have default values.

What is ideal really depends on what type og camera movement and art style you have. If you have photo realistic vegetation then a higher TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight might create flicker. But too low makes fast movement more blurry.

So I think it depends on what you are making. If you are making a fast paced game like an fps then there are some forum posts on how to tweak the CurrentFrameWeight based on camera velocity.

Thanks for the tips btw.
Cheers!

I’ve updated the material with a distance fade off.
This way only objects near the camera gets sharpened, making the distance fade more nicely. The default is 50 meters.

Old/New mask: Imgsli
OFF/V2: Imgsli

V1 vs. V2 (Extreme values):
OFF/V1: Imgsli
OFF/V2: Imgsli
V1/V2: Imgsli

Actually I think fading into less sharpened image would be a lot better than fading into “OFF”.

Changing the clamp to (0.5, 1.0) achieves something like that. Looks good :slight_smile:

@hallatore Hello there! Thank you for putting so much time into helping others. We all appreciate it :slight_smile: I just had a quick question if you do not mind answering please. By following your steps to enable this sharper image, will it affect the AA for Fortnite or just the game someone is trying to make? I’m sorry, I’m a little new to this UE4 vernacular. What I’m trying to say is would this method be safe and effective for Fortnite? (or is this primarily for Fortnite? lol) Ty in advance for answering a really noob question.

Could you guys help me how to set this up? Copy pasting the code into a custom node in the material causes errors. I’m a beginner, sorry :smiley:

I think you should just paste it into the material editor graph, not in the custom node.

I was worried that I was going to have to compile a custom engine. This works perfect thank you!

Just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for this! I’ve been using it since yesterday and already can’t imagine being without it.

Performance cost is hitting between .53 and .60 ms on a GTX960. Seems pretty reasonable for what it does.

Do you think this is as good as MSAA for VR games? Thanks

By using this post process method and material I get a lot of ghosting in my character after applying this material to post, when character runs too close to detailed textures or noise, also i get a bit of banding… no idea why either or how to fix that, but the ghosting is very strong, way more tan normal ghosting, also if the character receives a bit of shadows, it causes to create the artifacts agian, unless i move away to light. i already unchecked Bloom to reduce ghosting, but ghosting persist only inside the post process volumen and… i can only use TAA, so i canot avoid this by changing to FXAA.

What can i do?

wondering the same

I tried your solution and I end up getting weird results. Instead of the textures becoming sharper, they just become… brighter? Is this supposed to happen? Added a side by side comparison of my scene with and without the sharpness effect: UE4 Sharpness Error - Imgsli (I can’t notice a difference aside from increased brightness)

(Using Unreal Engine 4.24.1)