Sharp Temporal AA

@hallatore How well do your settings work when you have SSAO (on lowest quality setting) set to a high intensity? SSAO needs TAA to smooth it out, and all adjustments that make TAA look less blurry always resulted in worse SSAO look for me I think.

Iā€™m a bit late to the party, but I only just came across this thread. The blurry default AA has been bugging me for a while now, but I couldnā€™t find any way to improve it. Until now! Itā€™s definitely a trade-off between SSAO quality and Temporal AA sharpness, but the settings from hallatore are a huge improvement for my game. The grainy AO only really stands out on clean surfaces with little to no detail or texture.

I just posted this. Feel free to try it out :slight_smile: Temporal AA sharpening - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

That looks pretty promising! I always wondered how other games, even UE4 games, managed to achieve a clean look with temporal AA. It seems a combination of TAA and FXAA delivers some of the best results, but with your tweaks, TAA is already pretty good on itā€™s own. The ghosting reduction blueprint you posted early is working great for me as well. Thanks for sharing all of this!

I havenā€™t seen games take this approach. Most do TAA and adjust sharpen to a preferred amount. Some add a SMAA or FXAA step afterwards.
Mine uses some tricks to undo the blurriness on textures while trying to not sharpen the anti-aliased edges. It also doesnā€™t change anything else as it happens right after TAA, and only when TAA is enabled.

Download and test it out! I think itā€™s much better than using r.TonemapperSharpen. :slight_smile:

porque meu jogo nao quer baixa, eu inicio o download e ele nao se movimenta sempre fica em o.ooB/s as vezes sobe um pouco mais ja cai demora uns 10 miutos pra dar 1% minah net Ć© de 2mega alguem me ajuda obrigado

I created a Post Process Material that does almost the same thing without needing engine modifications. Should work with any UE4 version! :slight_smile:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/1449167-sharper-image-without-the-edge-artifacts

Old postā€¦ but still the same issueā€¦ ghosting is a huge problem in Unreal and looks awful, you simply cant release any game like this.
Also its a bit strange to give us temporal AA with all the issues and let us fix the ghosting !?!
We need some proper AA the whole temporal thing is completely useless, it performs poorly against some other AA functions and makes your game look like a failure.

at this stage i dont think anyone cares i switched to forward and learning now to deal with it for the sake of msaa. What else can anyone do, we have been nagging about these issues and last thing you know whole departments are busy working on raytracing instead of dealing with core issues like these.

Exactlyā€¦ its really sadā€¦ claiming to be the best engine out thereā€¦ but your stuck with this awfull AA functionsā€¦
-1 for core developersā€¦

Honestly Iā€™d rather have no AA at all than using the default TAA. Thankfully Itā€™s quite easy to sharpen. I think it should be sharper by default because many devs donā€™t bother doing it and we end up with blurry games that lack definition.

it doesnt work you are sharpening it with post effects over a post effect aa, this is like sharpening filter in photoshop makes the image muddy with edge artifacts especially if ur game has small objects on screen, also it doesnā€™t solve the major ghosting problems, maybe reduction a bit but doesnt solve it.

1 Like

Yeah but IMO itā€™s still better than nothing. Tonemapper sharpen is not bad either, it is more subtle but it looks less muddy than a post process sharpening material.

i get you but still, btw when i said post process i mean the entire thing including the tonemapper which in itself is post process.