Shared Video Ram Spikes with FBX Import Animation

Seems like it does not take much. If I am importing or trying to batch import fbx animations my shared 4 gigs of video ram peaks very quickly and crashes Unreal. I have a RTX 2080 with 8 gigs. But that does not get used.

Why is Unreal using my Intel Chip ram while importing? Is there a setting in Unreal or in Windows?

The FBX import is a CPU process, not a gpu one… I’m not sure but I don’t think vram should be spiking. Ram should.

You need to make sure your PC meets the minimum requirements to run unreal Ram wise (possibly add more ram) if that is what is causing the crash.

Its not your video card. If a 1080 works a 2080 can only be better.

also, for testing. How long of an animation are your importongnon avarage? Number of frames?

I guess I was not clear. The Video Card Ram is not getting used. It is the Shared GPU Memory. RAM goes up too. Of course. But there is less shared GPU memory and when that caps I get the error I am out of Video Memory and Unreal crashes. Very consistently. So I have to be careful how much animation I try to import at one time.

I would like to know why it is using Shared GPU Memory.

It could very well be a bug, but what kind of ram are you working with?
does it meet the minimum requirements of unreal?

Also we still need any info helpful to reproduce. Size (number of frames) on animations, number of animations.

To put It in perspective for you, I have no trouble importing an FBX with 150 animations of an average of 24frames each.
it takes some time, but goes fine. My system has 64gb of ram though so you know, if I went down to 8, it may not be so fine…

Well, yes. I have at least the minimum requirements. Regarding the amount of animation.This t is an extremely lightweight job. Roughly 22 animations with an average of 3-6 seconds each at 24 frames.But that is not the issue. Sure I can break these up and load them separately or in smaller groups which is what I did to continue working. But this points to a real show stopper issue if you have any animation with a significant length. Think a fight sequence or other mocap session with long takes such as dance or dialogue. This would bring Unreal to its knees. So I am going to say it is either a bug or something wrong with my brand new computer.

Here it is loading into Unity, a mere matter of seconds and absolutely no significant rise in memory.

Here it is taking some 8-10 minutes in Unreal and crashing it after running out of video memory.

So something is wrong here. Really wrong. It is either a bug or something with my computer.

17 9700 8 core
RTX 2080 8 Gig
RAM (currently) 16 Ggs with 16 more on the way.

Sorry but 7,208 key for a few seconds of animation just seems wrong.
My total on the last one I imported was 300 - it usually matches the number of frames (I export at 30fps since UE4 interpolates the frames in-between on it’s own).

How did you create the FBX / is the timing of the frames off?
You can try quickly to force 30FPS by clicking the “Use Default Sample Rate” within the animation drop-down. This does take processing time compared to just a straight import though.

Regardless of all of that. I just imported 22 animations and they went by instantly. Biggest total key value I saw flash by was 1700.

NOT that having 7,208 keys per animation should cause such behavior.

Do you have the latest GFX studio drivers? It’s literally the only other thing I can think of to double check on the rig itself.
Re-acquiring engine files with a quick verify from the launcher may also help.
But if it keeps on going I think you should file a bug report with the video and a copy of your animations so they can test it…

Ok this is progress.

This is the solution:

You can try quickly to force 30FPS by clicking the “Use Default Sample Rate” within the animation drop-down. This does take processing time compared to just a straight import though.

However that is not the setting I see.

I see Custom Sample Rate. And I set it to 24 which was the animation rate. It was left at 0 by default and I guess it must be sampling at a much higher rate. “if 0 find automatically the best sample rate”.

Set at 24 the animation now loads within seconds which is expected. Even if you wanted to animate at 60 I am sure this would be fine. But I will have to tweak it to get the most accurate animation it seems from tests.

The export option for sample rate is in Blender ambiguous. Looking at the manual it shows Sample Rate as a “To Do” meaning it is still not explained. However by default Unity has no issues with this at all. Unreal for some reason wants to sample a zillion frames by default. Should this be considered a bug or a feature request? At least the default setting should be considered.

At any rate,

Thank you for the solution!

Glad to help.
Because of the fact its effectively crashing your engine and PC I would classify it as a bug.
yes it is a result of a “bad” file, but the engine should be able to handle it imho.
unity obviously has different presets on the import and perhaps automatically samples correctly.

Re the export from blender, stick to 30fps if working with unreal.
It makes near 0 difference anyway.
The engine should re-interpret the animation if you change the Framerate, but it was built to be reactive to the frame rate in the first place.
Essentially a 30fps imported animation actually plays at 60fps or 64 or 90 or 120 etc depending on your actual game FPS - without changing the actual duration in Milliseconds.

You would be hard pressed to notice any stuttering (on a good base animation) unless you are making movies, in that case I suppose it would all depend on the recorded framerate and playback speed. But because the engine adapts I don’t think you would see much stuttering there either.
I used the mannequin run in the bonebreaker logo intro - never noticed any issue (then again it’s a few milliseconds of a run animation so you probably would never notice anything anyway in such a small sample).

I am only using Unreal to make a movie at this point. I have no control over export frame rate at all from Blender. Only a setting which seems to affect the sample rate, but it has a default of 1.00 But no place is is it explained what 1.00 is. Could be 1000x for all I know. I will have to experiment with that at some point.

At any rate you have been most helpful.

Thanks again!