Shadows on collapsed spline meshes

Hope I’m putting this question in the correct place.

I have a bush spline blueprint which I am trying to Merge into a single actor to save on draw calls and reduce complexity of my scene. Unfortunately, no matter what I do when I merge the actor down, I always end up with what looks like splotchy, boiling shadows on my new actor. This is using UE 5.1 If I use UE 5.4, that boiling effect is there BEFORE I even attempt to merge it down. Any ideas?

I’m using Lumen, and I’ve tried turning on and off Nanite, recomputing lightmaps, I’m always calling a specific LOD of the bush mesh, Support Ray Tracing is on and the material isn’t modified in any way.

Any suggestions as to what this might be?

I really appreciate any help!
S

It is possible that the issue you are experiencing is related to the way the mesh is being merged. When merging meshes, it is important to ensure that the meshes are properly aligned and that the materials are properly applied to the merged mesh. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the mesh is being rendered correctly, as this can also affect the appearance of the merged mesh.

One potential solution is to try adjusting the mesh merging settings to see if that resolves the issue. For example, you could try adjusting the merge settings to use a different merging method or to adjust the merge tolerance.

Another potential solution is to try using a different mesh merging tool or plugin to see if that resolves the issue. There are many different mesh merging tools and plugins available for Unreal Engine, so it may be worth trying a few different options to see if one of them works better for your specific use case.

It is also possible that the issue you are experiencing is related to the way the mesh is being rendered. In this case, you may want to try adjusting the rendering settings for the mesh to see if that resolves the issue. For example, you could try adjusting the lighting or the material settings to see if that improves the appearance of the merged mesh.

I hope this information is helpful!

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it. I’ve tried every combination of Merge settings possible, with no luck. Interestingly, the mesh looks fine in 5.1 until the Merge, but that splotchy look I get after merging is how it looks before I merge in 5.4.

The fact I get this out of the box in 5.4 before the merge, and only get it after a merge in 5.1 leads me to think it’s something else.

The materials are unchanged after the merge, so that seems unlikely also.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking at other merging tools, I’m not having much luck finding any, but I’ll continue to have a look around for some.
I’m really surprised at how bad it looks in 5.4.

Thanks,
S

Turns out it was caused by using Hardware Raytracing. Can’t believe the quality is that bad on a 3060ti card.