Several realities

Hello there. I’ve started working on this and before continuing I’d like to have some feedback.

The idea steems from something I made in Source some time ago, in which a Portal 2 map each room would be in a different time (one clean, one 70s, one overgrown…). I wanted to do something similar in UE4, but more dynamic, and kind of cooler… Here’s what I’ve come up with:

[video]Areas - YouTube

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

I have no idea what’s going on in that video, but it looks pretty great.

That idea is pretty extroordinary O.o

Thank you very much :smiley:

Now I’m just having trouble where should it grow. Maybe make puzzles out of it? A way to tell two stories at once?

Feel free to share any ideas on how would you think a game with this mechanic would be like

Dude that’s rad! There’s so much you can do with this… from horror/scary to funky/fantasy… It’s almost like having too many choices and that being a bad thing because you can’t make up your mind. You could make a butterfly effect type game too, where you keep changing reality as you make mistakes, trying to correct them, and accidentally changing so many other things in history.

I think this is awesome as hell and I hope you keep pushing it!

This is pretty cool! I’m not sure if it would sell well though since it’s a pretty specialized asset.

I’m not interested in selling the asset at the moment.

That butterfly idea sounds really interesting… Like, the closer you get to making an action the more ‘alternate future’ bubbles will appear, until that alternate future becomes the reality.

A horror game, where you visit a common house but there are openings with monsters and scary stuff

My current problem is that when in an FPS or a closed space, it can’t be fully viewed from all angles. I’ll start working on a butterfly prototype, as it wont have this problem.

If anybody is interested in working with me and has knowledge in UE4 code, character desing, modelling or just has a creative mind, contact me via daniel.hurtadoramirez314 (at) gmail (dot) com

I think this is a great idea.

So many possibilities.

How you made that effect ? without be in a post process volume

Did you do this in post-process? If so, were you using ue > 4.10 ?

It was done in 4.10.1, but it should work in older versions

No, it doesn’t use a Post Process. The decoloration happens in the sphere’s material :wink:

Cool concept! Reminds me of the painting that gets done in Splatoon or Epic Mickey

You will do a tutorial about that ?

Make a sweet detective game where you have to use the portals to see clues that were there before the scene got cleaned up XD