Setting Up Quest 3 Strictly for PCVR Preview in UE 5.3

I am not interested in deploying to the Quest. However, that appears to be what all of the documentation is geared toward, not to mention it’s out of date.

Has anyone been able to get their Quest 3 working in UE 5.3 as just a preview device; If so, how did you do it?

1 Like

It appears I figured it out, using the OpenXR route. In case anyone needs it, this is what I did:

-Make sure the OpenXR plugins are enabled for your project
-Install the Oculus PC software
-Go to the Oculus PC software Settings->General
-Enable Unknown Sources and set Oculus as the active OpenXR runtime
-Switch your Meta account to a developer account (possibly unnecessary)
-Enable developer mode in the Meta app (possibly unnecessary)
-Connect the headset via the cable or air link
-In the headset, go to desktop mode

You should be able to use the Quest 3 for VR previewing in UE 5.3. No Android nonsense required.

3 Likes

One extra note here, I had to select the Standalone Game Mode under the Play Launcher after entering Desktop on Quest Link. You will get the low res preloader image in the Quest 3 and then the app launches. I have already noticed some differences in the default vr map and its functionality though.

Hi there.
I have the following configuration :

• Quest 3 connected via AIR link
  • RTX 4070
  • goodEnough computer setup …

I was able to start without any issue the VR preview from the default game/virtual reality project on unreal Engine 5.3.2

BUT

Look like it’s laggy/flickering … and in a brief a very bad experience as soon as I move my head.
I was able to have a better experience with my old setup (6year old setup with Oculus rift )

I don’t know why it’s not working smoothly.

On my side :
I have the developper account stuff setup.
Looks like by default, the preview runs into steam VR, so you probably have to start oculus and steam before you start the preview.
I have some OpenXR toolkit setup in addition.
I was able to run the preview without steam, but it’s the same poor experience.
Anything I can do to have it working correctly ?

Thanks

Thank you for sharing a workflow. It worked for me using the VR Preview Mode.
As we are talking about the Quest 3, what about the passthrough?
As anyone managed to get the passthrough to work and could share how to?