Setting the mass of an object?

I have created a project from “RealisticRendering”

I have selected SM_BOWL_29

I raise it up a little, enable physics simulation and watch it fall.

However the mass is greyed out.

How do I set the mass of an object?

You will have to adjust value of Mass Scale(which should appear after you enable Physics simualtion for the Static mesh),Mass Scale is mass compared to transform of the object(size).

Or create a physics material and change the density of that material, then assign the material to your mesh.

1 Like

Hi PompeyPaul,

Trice is right that you want to set this via the Mass Scale slider. This will give you the result you’re looking for with direct control over your mesh.

Change the setting in the Mesh Viewer by double clicking your object in the content browser or change it per instance in via the details panel on the right.

If you have any questions or need clarification feel free to ask! :slight_smile:

Tim

15489-massscale.png

I found that when setting the mass scale, I cannot change it to zero. When I change it from 1 to 0 in the Details pane, it changes the value to 0.001. This makes things better, but still is clearly non-zero and causes a drift over time that messes me up. I need it to be actually zero, which I was able to achieve by creating my own physics material and setting the density to zero as suggested by Razvan above.

1 Like