Set Input Mode Game&UI sets focus for a controller other then I assign for it to set focus.

I am trying to have player controllers focus on a widget when they press on start as part of a process to join a running local multiplayer game.
Oddly enough when I pass through the controller that pressed on Start to be the one that gets focus it fails.

Situation:
In player controller dispatch START button press event with an input that passes through a self reference.
Game mode blueprint, Bind event to start in the player controllers.
Running game. Player 1 is in play. Is using gamepad 1, on player controller id 1.
Player two presses start in gamepad 2 on player controller id 2.
Self reference is passed to Set Game mode game&ui so that the “on key down” events in the Widget get picked up.
This fails.
Instead I need to give focus to controller ID 0 for player two who is actively using gamepad 2 and reports that he is in fact player controller id 2. For the next gamepad who presses start I need to set it controller id 1, and that works even though Player 1 is allready in game while using player controller 1.
WHen instead player 2 decides to use joypad 4 and therefor player controller id 4 I need to set the focus for player controller 2. Now if I press start on joypad 2 you’d think I have to set the focus to controller 1. Nope. It needs 4.
I can’t make heads or tails of when I need to feed what controller into the widget focus.

How can I get the correct controller here? see image.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=1537057

I have 5 player controllers. 4 for gamepads and one for keyboard.
TO get 5 player controllers I used the method described here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que…can-you-1.html

AFter creating players I use “set player controller ID” to seperate the keyboard from player 1
That gives me these controllers:

Display name ~ Controller ID ~ COntrollers Object name

Playercontroller-FFFF-1 ~ 1 ~ Playercontroller-FFFF-1_C_0
Playercontroller-FFFF-11 ~ 2 ~ Playercontroller-FFFF-1_C_1
Playercontroller-FFFF-12 ~ 3 ~ Playercontroller-FFFF-1_C_2
Playercontroller-FFFF-13 ~ 4 ~ Playercontroller-FFFF-1_c_3
Playercontroller-FFFF-14 ~ 0 ~ Playercontroller-FFFF-1_c_4 - keyboard player, id 0 allways is I think.

[edit]
What I do in this image works.
I get the self reference the player controller passes through, I get it’s id and then assign a totally different controller. Yet when I do this the correct gamepad controls the UI.
Example Input switch on int 2. This is Playercontroller-FFFF-11 ~ 2 ~ Playercontroller-FFFF-1_C_1. Why the bleep does it need controller 0 to work.
This makes no sense.

As far as I know this should NOT work.
[/edit]