Set HISM num custom data floats during runtime

I think it’s pretty self-explanatory, I have a Hierarchical instanced static mesh that I create during runtime and I would like to add custom data floats to it. I have not been able to find a solution to do this at runtime, I guess everyone is just doing basic things with the hism components that don’t require the flexibility I’m looking for.

I just imagine if it can be changed with a slider in the editor it shouldn’t be so hard to change during runtime

I guess everyone is just doing basic
things with the hism components

I guess. Is this what you mean:

There’s no explicit method exposed to BPs afaik, but that should do it, no?

1 Like

There’s no explicit method exposed to BPs afaik, but that should do it, no?

no, I have extremely extensive code, an entire playable functioning Minecraft style game that generates all of its blocks and items from a custom programming language at runtime using Hierical Instanced Meshes. I have constructed a fully functional Hiearical Instance component and material runtime generator. Obviously, the node you showed is something I’ve been using since the beginning however it’s the CustomData option I’m trying to learn how to control during runtime. It seems the only way to change the number of custom data floats a hierarchical instance can have is through the editor with the dropdown visible in the first screenshot you sent. THAT is what I’m trying to achieve not the basic stuff like creating a component. any further help is much appreciated

any further help is much appreciated

As explained above - it’s not exposed to BPs. Not sure how I’d approach this on the C++ level. Since we’re talking data on the actual GPU now, I find it very unlikely this can be done run-time. But I’m no expert on this, sorry.

You asked this in the BP section: imho, your best bet is to add a HISM with the appropriate data and use that for generation. It may be impractical for many reasons, though, ofc.

You could play with overriding the whole component:

347058-screenshot-3.png

But there will still be no way to pipe this data in. Not sure if this is feasible. Everything in me says this is compile time only. Hope I’m wrong.

Good luck!