I’ve been struggling with this for days and my productivity on our project has dropped to zero.
I run a solid machine I7-10700 CPU, 64GB Memory, a 1tb M.2 drive and 3 4tb drives for storing data. My motherboard is ASUS ROG Maximus XII hero. My video card is a Geforce GTX 1060.
Up until a week ago I had no issues opening any of our project files, test or production. These days, I can’t open any project file with any degree of reliability no matter how big or how small.
What I’ve tried.
Updated the drivers for all of my devices. FAILED
Exempting all things UE from my AV software. FAILED
Running repairs on my install (4.25.4) FAILED
Ran a windows repair on UE/the launcher. FAILED
Uninstalling and reinstalling the launcher. FAILED
Uninstalling the engine and then the launcher, running a registry cleaner, rebooting and reinstalling. FAILED
Repair installed and updated Visual Studio 2019. FAILED
This is driving me nuts. Projects fail at 93% when attempting to open them.
"Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffff
Due to the memory reference in the error I’ve exhaustively tested my memory, ruthlessly cleared up my hard drives (none remotely near capacity), and ran a 3 hour furmark GPU test…all passed with flying colors. In fact, according to bench testing software I’m barely taxing my system. Yet, UE will not run.
A clue. A new project with nothing in it save one mesh opens reliably.
Any help would be appreciated.
Getting really tired of waiting for an answer. I can literally do nothing project related with any degree of reliability. Even if I were able to sneak in some work uploading it to source control to have the rest of our team inherit this ■■■■ is something I can’t afford happening. While I can’t expect anyone not affiliated with Epic to know, I would think that someone from Epic would look at their forum to throw a lifeline with stuff like this.
I’m at the point where I’m seriously weighing the level of frustration over this against the years, money and time, I’ve invested in this project.
Additional: I tried migrating the project to 4.26 (copy). It run without failure once and not since.
Can you build the project from VS? Or is this happening after you have built fro DebugGame Editor?
Have you tried deleting the intermediate, saved, build folders etc?
Apologies, I’m not sure what you refer to when you say VS.
After the DebugEditor reports the error the results opening the project are the same.
I’ve tried removing the intermediate folder but I didn’t try the save or build folders.
I have submitted the error via the DebugEditor with full description with full description days ago without reply.
Just in, this must be isolated to my engine (which makes me wonder, since I’ve reinstalled everything, as one of my team is able to open the project without incident. This has to be something on my end, but I’ve covered every aspect of my system and its up to date and running comfortably below its threshold.
I’ll try removing the intermediate, saved folders, build.
Sorry when I say VS I just wanted to check if you can compile the project from visual studio or whether you are just opening the .uproject
Also if you are running it from visual studio, try a clean and change it from DebugGame Editor to Development Editor
I’m splitting time between work and home today, but I’ll try this once I get back to my desk. I’d feel for more comfortable trying this at the system rather than remotely logged in.
**Apologies, again splitting my attention, I’m running it from the .uproject
I should be back at my desk in an hour or two. Thank you
I think I’ve beaten this horse dead. At least I’m to the point of throwing up my hands and starting the new year with one less thing to occupy my time. Last effort, I’m picking up a 1T Thumb drive, I’ll load Win10 Pro on it as a virtual machine along with UE 4.25.4 and my project workspace and use it to connect to my P4 server. Aside from common drivers to use my video card and memory this should resolve the issue. if not, I throw in the towel.
This situation is absolutely absurd. I design construct and support LAN’s and WAN’s, all hardware, switches, cabling and all software (OS’s applications, AV and security platforms) and I can’t isolate where this problem is.
The project itself isn’t the issue as it opens as-is for others, so the trouble has to be UE or its launcher, and/or its interaction with some software on my system. For the life of me I can’t isolate it and I cannot duplicate the problem on demand… projects fail to open 95% of the time and open 5%, when it feels like it.
Anyhow, I’ll have the drive and get things situated tomorrow. I’ll know by Monday or Tuesday (tomorrow being Sunday) if I’m still intent on game developing or not.
The issue turned out to be UE being stuck regarding a mesh we had being worked on. In a test project I worked with a designer to modify a mesh to place into the project. It had many issues. Several revision were done and tried in this test project. Apparently the test project, being run int 4.25.4 decided to hand onto the erroneous setting/ condition rather than to move forward with later revisions.
After removing all traces of the mesh from the test project it would open up. As a consquence UE 4.25.4 must have re-evaluated itself because now, after all I tried (including full reinstalls of UE and th launcher, and a new version of UE, everything works normally.
Well, my jubilation to have fix the problem was premature as the problem showed itself again. The issue was nVidia related. I removed any trace of nVidia other than my graphic’s card driver and UE has worked consistently ever since.
Sorry for the false solution.