Serious Game Development Team

Upppppppp. Updated thread.

Upppppppp. Updated thread. Please Contact me

I have news for you, my friend.

1. I liked the 5th installment of Suikoden series as well, but I rather think you are improving the wrong things. Moreover, class system was already present in SuikoV in a soft way, through obvious character affinities, skills and rune equip slots. Actually, it’s a pretty good system that one shouldn’t break.
  2. You still have not answered a single legal-related question. For a royalty-based project that is not good. Unless you want to turn the legal stuff over to somebody else.
  3. Japanese actionization trend in jRPGs has actually been more of a detriment recently, because the only game where it was halfway decently implemented was FF XIII - 1. Note, not XIII-2 or -3. Western gamers won’t like it much because it’s still too japanese and number-ish, and japanese gamers… well, they are japanese, they are just different. For a western gamer, you have to give him a puzzle he has to solve, and tools to do it, and actually tools to turn his characters into killing machines by virtue of intelligence (and hardcore min-maxing). For an asian, you just have make something not very boring, and they’ll play it for hundreds of hours on end without minding the repetitiveness (which westerners will find mind-numbing).

There is also this: SuikoV had great visual, audial and gameplay design. Every system and mechanic it had was there for a reason. Which is why you should think hard and long about changing these things while still trying to appeal to Suiko audience.

Having said that, it is unrealistic that you, on your own, make a game with realtime battles on the scale of Suikoden in shorter time than roughly… 6 to 8 years. That’s if you do it in Unity. In UE it’ll probably take roughly the same time but differently distributed, because you can’t do large-scale projects with blueprints, not really. Not normally.
It is also unrealistic that you do so without any real investment, and your first investment is, I think, your thinking. Thought should be powered in a game that you wish to make and bring to market.
That is really the difficult part. And after the thought has been poured into a project, you can then pour skill and money to get the concept into being, so that people can actually see what is going on and where it is going.

After that - can’t advise as I am not really there yet. But that’s what I would’ve done.

Also, undertaking a less ambitious project that incidentally contains things that can and will be used for a larger project (like prototype combat mechanics) could be advised and useful for someone new in this business.
And make no mistake - if you do not have a good supply of money or serious connections among producers and publishers, this is business.