Sequencer - Repeat Walk Cycle w/ out Root Motion

Hi All,

I’m new to Unreal and to these forums! Happy to be here.

I’m experimenting with Unreal for linear animation and have found that when trying to repeat a walk cycle in sequencer, the character will automatically jump back to it’s origin point. I’ve fixed this issue by using a walk cycle that keeps the character rooted in place and manually keying the character’s location so they move forward.

I’ve also found that instead of repeating a walk cycle clip by dragging its right edge along the timeline, you can duplicate the clip, line it up with the original and use the ‘Match with this Bone in Previous Clip’ option to offset the duplicate clip so that it lines up properly with the previous one. This allows the character to continue moving forward without jumping back in place. If Unreal allows you to match bones with the previous/next clip, does it not also offer a way to automatically perform this behavior? I don’t want to duplicate & match bones for 10+ clips. I could bring the animation into another program like MotionBuilder, but was wondering if its possible to keep everything within Unreal.

And just to clarify, I’m not trying to have a user control the movement of the character. I simply want to animate a character in a scene and set up some cameras.

Thanks!
Milady

I am also having trouble with this.

Dean

Same here, this seems very trivial as the functionality is already available, it’s just the way they implemented is very tedious to use. It would be more intuitive and easier to work with if you could just extend your walk animation and let it continiously use root motion.

1 Like

I agree with Marten, that functionality would be fantastic, as would be a tick box to enable/disable root motion directly in the Level Sequence.

I’ve found an option in Persona that can help: open the animation, then under Asset Details - Root Motion, enable Force Root Lock. That’ll strip the forward motion and keep the character in place when you use it in a Level Sequence. There’s another tick box called Enable Root Motion, it was already disabled for me but it’s something else to try depending on the animation you use.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 104910