Sequencer animation looping broken in 5.4

I have a very simple level sequence using the default third person character template:

I want to spawn and play this sequence and have the animation loop in the level.

I spawn the sequence and set the loop count to -1 for endless looping:

Expected result: The level sequence animation loops endlessly

Observed result: The level sequence animation plays and stops after a random number of cycles, sometimes it will play once and stop, sometimes it will play 5+ times and stop

I don’t recall this being an issue in versions prior to 5.4. This seems like a major problem and I was very surprised to not find any existing threads about this issue

Can confirm this issue does not occur in 5.3

What version of 5.4 are you on?

I wasn’t able to reproduce what you’re seeing with 5.4.4. Can you try updating to the latest 5.4.4? There was an issue with playing in reverse that was fixed for 5.4.4. It doesn’t seem to be the same issue here, but it might be related.

Hi Max,

I’m running 5.4.4. I don’t know what I would be doing wrong, I’m using the same exact code and level sequence in a 5.3.2 project and it works fine.

One thing I did notice is that if I add an event trigger to the first frame of the sequence that gets the current montage and plays it, the animation will endlessly loop correctly. But if I don’t do this, it randomly stops after an inconsistent number of loops as seen in the above clips.

Capture

So it seems like for whatever reason the level sequence animation is just giving up and stopping randomly instead of looping.

Also, if I change the sequence loop count to something like 10, nothing changes about this behavior, it will loop for 1-5 times and then stop, regardless of what number is input in the loop count, whether it be -1, 5, 10, 100, the observed behavior is always the same

Not quite sure then. If you animate a static mesh (ie. cube), it also doesn’t loop playback consistently? Trying to determine if it’s a skeletal mesh issue or sequence playback issue in genera.

Yes if I add and animate a cube to the sequence it works fine, the sequence itself is looping properly, it’s just the skeletal mesh animation that randomly stops.

I zipped the project and had a friend see if the issue persisted on his machine and it did. Would you be willing to take a look at the project and see if you can reproduce it on your end?

Just press Y in the level and the sequence will spawn and then the looping animation will stop randomly

If not, no worries, I can just submit a bug report, and thanks for taking the time to respond

Thanks for the repro project. I’m not sure what’s going on just yet, but I found a workaround. If you Force Custom Mode to true, it should continue looping. Give that a shot and I’ll continue investigating. We won’t be able to fix this for 5.4 but potentially for 5.5.

1 Like

That works! Thanks a ton for looking into it. Glad I’m not going crazy lol

Cheers mate