Separate worlds (2D - 3D) in one game

Hi there,

I’m new in game development and I’m learning as soon as I can to use and understand Unreal Engine.

(I specify that I am on the last version of Unreal 4).

So, I want to make a game with multiple worlds, for example, the base level the player will appear in will be world number 1 in 3D in a forest let’s say.

I hope that when my character has done what was needed in this level, he can continue his adventure in level 2, until then, no worries.

Only, I wish that this world number 2 does not happen in classic 3D but in 2D like the old one!

I want to know if it is possible to distinguish each world or “level” by a totally different game system at that level.

I hope I was clear enough, if not, don’t hesitate to tell me.

PS: I write with Google translation.

Thanks in advance

Hey there @anonymous_user_2e8e03fd! Welcome to the community! So in Unreal Engine 2D and 3D are basically the same and the engine relies on it’s 2D suite (Paper2D) for an extension of 2D object types. So the overarching answer is: Yes! Utilizing different game modes you can spawn different sets of characters, controllers, UI, etc. between different levels, or if you really wanted to you could combine them with some sort of transition!

A good example is this 2D sprite/3D world tutorial that goes over a little bit of each. For you however setting up your Game mode and the different pawns is going to be a majority of the work and is a slightly different workflow. Below I’m also going to link a tutorial for getting started with Paper2D.

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

Hope this helps!

Hello and thank you for your quick response.

I’ll look at it