Lightspeed LA (Tencent)](Tencent starts US studio to make AAA games for next-gen consoles | GamesIndustry.biz) is looking for a highly creative and technical Combat Designer who has a passion for building AAA open world games. This role is responsible for driving core combat systems for the player and enemy AI. As a Senior Combat Designer, you will collaborate with Art, Design, and Tech to bring cutting edge AAA combat experiences to life. Join top AAA studio veterans in building our new AAA game studio culture from scratch in sunny Irvine, California.
- 5+ years of experience in gameplay design, including senior or lead experience
- Extensive experience building combat systems for player characters and / or enemies
- Establish core combat functionality and pipeline with designers, engineers, and animators
- Drive the vision, prototyping, implementation, and fine tuning of combat systems from concept to completion including controls, balance, animation implementation and tuning, environmental interaction, sound effects, and visual effects
- Proven ability to implement and troubleshoot complex character logic through scripting
- Design compelling AI archetypes, gameplay scenarios, and encounters that cover a dynamic range of intensity and complexity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey difficult and abstract concepts to all disciplines
- Collaborate with others to establish and maintain high quality design practices and metrics
- Partner closely with other disciplines to ensure that combat systems complement narrative, art, technical and design decisions
- Strong technical knowledge of scripting languages or code is preferred
- Possess an extensive knowledge of competing products, a deep understanding of the complex overlap between combat and open world gameplay systems and an expert grasp of combat timing and feel.
- Experience with modern game engines and visual scripting (Unreal, Unity, etc.)
- A passion for mentoring designers and leading by example
- Shipped at least one AAA title from inception to finish
How to apply:
We would love to see your amazing CV and a link to your portfolio if you have one! Please email Natalie Pong](https://www.linkedin.com/in/nataliesarapong/) at [EMAIL=“firstname.lastname@example.org”]email@example.com. In consideration of your health and safety, all interviews will be virtual and we will be working remotely for the time being. Learn more about life at Tencent here](Life | Tencent Careers)!