Selling combined marketplace Items?

I am currently combining 2 templates from the market that I see MANY others struggling to accomplish, I purchased these 2 templates but they are very incompatible and am adding my own scripting to get them to work together. My question is, if i do this successfully, can I then sell it on the marketplace?
[EDIT] Or perhaps my own content, that is meant to help merge the two when purchased.

lol, nope.
Just no.

If you got permission from both creators, and/or sell this without their content… then yes it might be possible. (if the MP-team allows it) but generally? Nope.

I thought this at first too, but there’s no explicit rule for this posted anywhere. (Marketplace Guidelines - Unreal Engine) comes close when stating “2.1.d Content must consist primarily of original work and differ from the result of public tutorials.” but neither template had a tutorial, especially for what Ive done, the overall artwork is different and i had to rewire basically everything to get these to coexist. I’ve seen allot of people ask how to do this with zero answers, even asking the creators of both templates got head scratches because they are just not compatible with the way each game mode, game state, and player controllers work.

ANYTHING bought in the unreal marketplace can be sold as a commercial product and the review process only looks for:

" Function as advertised. Pass a technical and functional review to ensure quality of work. Add overall value to the Marketplace. "

The review process is much more extensive than this. It also considers whether you have the legal right to distribute the assets; combining two templates you didn’t create without permission — even with your edits to make them function together— still doesn’t grant you the right to sell them.

No. You cannot do this - marketplace license agreement is pretty clear that you cannot sell / sublicense Marketplace content that you have purchased for reuse.

This is in itself should be pretty obvious; otherwise what’s to stop me buying something on the marketplace, bundling it with another product, then selling it more cheaply with the original two?

right i understand that, but the difference is anybody can bundle two things together, I’ve done something nobody else could. also, it’s very believable that it’s against the rules, but I would like to be shown the rule because there’s nothing in the license agreement either.

Once you purchase something from the UE4 marketplace, it is yours, forever, for unlimited uses, to use in projects for commercial use. you have the right to sell them, just not unchanged. so long as it is your project you can sell it, just not a resell of the original thing you’ve purchased. This isn’t just two things i bought put together by migrating one into the other. It has original code. So then where is the line? When does a project become “yours”? If a game is made and sold using a template on the marketplace with somebody’s art pasted over it, they can legally sell it as a game. So then, why does this seem so impractical for marketplace sales? I understand that undercutting the original work on the marketplace is unethical, but that’s not the plan here. If say, it was the same price as the two combined or 75% the price of buying both, with credit given to the other two, it’s something neither other creator could make or do and has value in the marketplace.

ALL HYPOTHESIS ASIDE.
What about selling a template of ALL MY original work that you could easily use to migrate the two together? That seems like it would make it less “unethical” plus i see content all the time that says “you need X for this project”
Template to easily migrate X and Y template together! but with MY stuff only.

if it only contains your own content, then yes it might be possible.
Though the MP-team can decide that a pack needing two other packs either needs permission from both authors and/or they’ll deny it in general.
In that case you could either sell it elsewhere (gumroad for instance) or offer to do it for people for a hourly rate/regular fee.

No.

Firstly, the definitions in the agreement;

“Paid Content” means Content made available to you through the Marketplace for an additional fee, including but not limited to Paid Plug-ins.

“Product” means any product developed under this Agreement that is made using the Licensed Technology or that combines the Licensed Technology with any other software or content, regardless of how much or little of the Licensed Technology is used.

Once you purchase paid content from the marketplace you do not own it and have no rights to it. You have a license to use it in products you make;

When you pay the fee to obtain Paid Content, you are purchasing from Epic the right to have your License include that Paid Content. Regardless of any references Epic may make outside this Agreement to purchasing or selling Paid Content, Paid Content is licensed, not sold, to you under the License.

There are no restrictions on how you distribue a product made using the engine, so long as it does not include paid content in uncooked source format (i.e other marketplace content).

There is no restriction on your Distribution of a Product made using the Licensed Technology that does not include any Engine Code or any Paid Content Distributed in uncooked source format (in each case, including as modified by you under the License) and does not require any Licensed Technology (including as modified by you under the License) to run (“Unrestricted Products”).

It’s right here in the license agreement, and it is very clear. You cannot resell marketplace content

Yeah that’s sucks, imagine in the real world, you buy wood, you build a cabinet, but you can’t sell your cabinet because you bought the wood somewhere, you can’t even give it to someone for the same reason.
That’s stupid

But you exactly can do that - you’re buying the wood (marketplace asset) and using it to make your cabinet (game) and sell as many copies as you want. What you can’t do is buy wood from the store then sell it at a lower price in front of their door.

imagine in the real world, you buy wood, you build a cabinet, but you can’t sell your cabinet because you bought the wood somewhere

This has to be the most bad example I’ve seen anywhere on the web, ever. (@Samuel Brunner)

Imagine how easy it would be to flip money if you buy 2 products spend a day to merge them and then undercut both original authors. You get your money back (+ extra) AND the actual product!

Please apply logic

The cabinet example is just awful.

Imagine going to a concert and buying two CDs for $20 from the bands playing. You go home, rip the tracks of both CDs, write them to a load of CD-RWs. Then you go the next concert and stand next to the bands merchandise stall and sell your CD-RWs for $8 each.

Doesn’t seem fair does it?

Stop making excuses for stealing others people work.

1 Like

Spend a day to merge them.
Going on 3 weeks now still writing ORIGINAL code to get these to work, thanks.

more like having some of their songs on your own album but yeah

guess everybody who buys marketplace content is stealing now

Ok this makes the most sense to me, thank you.