Seeking source control advice

Hello all!

I’m trying to implement source control into our studios pipeline.
We are a small team and are aimed at visualizations.
I’ve been looking into a free, locally hosted source control option.
I came across a webinar explaining source control using Subversion and Perforce from 3 yeas ago.
Now I wanted to ask a few questions

1. Is Subversion still in development? - The latest post on the site it from April 2022.
  2. Is Git a viable option with regards of large files, local hosting and file locking?
  3. What would you say is the best option for us?

Thank you for your time!

Best,
Martin

SVN is great and there are many online hosting providers for it. I also think its the simplest to use for non-developers.

Git used to not be good for large files but I believe there are now some workarounds for it.

Thank you for your answer!

I guess I will install SVN and test it out. My main concern was if it is still in development.

I just installed Perforce to test it out, but can’t wrap my brain around where it stores files.
I need to set it up to use our server (network drives), where our projects are located, but it saves a copy (or archive) of the project locally on the server(different from the NAS), that has small disk space.

I might be completely wrong about things, but that is how I understand them.

Git on its own is terrible for large files, but with the git-lfs extension it becomes somewhat managable with team members not having to download and locally store the entire history of your repository. You do have to tell it which file types should be considered “large files” though, such as all .uasset files, .png files, etc. or simply all files if you do not care for diffing text files.

Git-lfs also supports file locking (even though I never tried it myself) and there are a number of free and open source locally hosted git servers such as GitLab, Gitea, or Gogs, just to name a few.

Thank you for your answer!

I will try Git as well, as I’m having trouble setting up Perforce and Subversion.

Not sure why it is so hard to have a source control software just run on a small disk space VM and have all the heavy files (repos) on a network drive.
It might be me just missing something.

Anyway, thank you all for the help! I will post again if there is any progress.

Perforce is the way to go, it’s free for very small teams or single developers, and has been the standard for Unreal since the stone age cause it work well.

Yes, I ended up setting up a Perforce source control, but couldn’t manage to set it up so it uses our server. In the end I set up a separate machine for the source control and the repo is local on it. In our case this is not ideal, as all our projects are set up on our main server, where we have redundancy.
At this point it has taken too much time to try and set it up as I like, but I will continue my efforts when I have time.

PS: I actually managed to move my repo to our server, but had issues committing changes. I guess some kind of write permissions or something wrong with the uses I set up.