Searching for people to become the part of the team

Hello everyone!

We are currently looking for 2 Unreal Engine developers to join our small team working on a story-driven horror game.

This opportunity is especially aimed at people who are still looking for their first real experience in game development and want to grow in the industry.

You do not need to be an experienced developer. For us, motivation, curiosity, reliability, and a genuine desire to create are more important than an impressive CV.

The Project

We are developing a story-driven horror game focused on atmosphere, symbolism, and visual metaphors.

The core story is already complete, several mechanics are implemented, and production of the first 3D assets has begun.

The game includes more than standard movement and interactions. You will work on things such as:

  • changing and dangerous environments;
  • unusual traversal mechanics;
  • climbing and squeezing through narrow spaces;
  • scripted horror sequences;
  • interactive paintings, sculptures, and environmental threats;
  • mechanics combining gameplay, physics, animation, and level design.

Many mechanics are designed specifically for individual scenes, so there is a lot of room for experimentation and creative problem-solving.

Experience & Skills

Experience with Unreal Engine and Blueprints is useful, but you do not need to know how to build everything from the start.

If you understand the basics, are willing to learn, research solutions, ask questions, and improve, you are welcome to reach out.

For us, “I don’t know how to do this yet, but I want to figure it out” is a perfectly good starting point.

Communication

We do have deadlines, but communication is our priority.

If something takes longer than expected or you run into a problem, we can discuss it and adjust the schedule together.

We value support, passion, and a real interest in how mechanics can make a scene more memorable.

You can be from any country. Language is not a barrier — I am not a native English speaker myself.

Compensation & Legal

Revenue Share:
We cannot offer a fixed salary at this stage. Instead, every participant receives a 5% revenue share from the project’s future income.

Contracts:
The company will be registered during the later stages of production, and formal agreements will be prepared according to each team member’s region.

Why Join Us?

You will have the opportunity to work on unusual gameplay systems, prototype ideas, solve real production problems, and directly influence how the game feels.

Most importantly, we want to build a team where people can learn, experiment, improve, and create something they are genuinely proud of.

If you are interested, feel free to reach out with any questions.

Let’s create something memorable.

2 Likes

To evaluate if the rev-share project is realistically doable, I would need to learn of your expertise, the goal and resources you have to actually produce it. Therefore can you show (as I would need to see the quality):

  1. examples / a portfolio of your past game-dev related work, released titles, finished game-jams or similar
  2. the planned goal in a form like a GDD with workload and resource estimation
  3. the available resources you have to produce the goal (assets, done milestones, budget, team with expertise and time commitment…)
  4. time-plan for the project
  5. rev-share agreement details. What will be the share if people join and leave during the development? What guarantees can you give that the project ever gets to a sellable state and even if that you actually pay out the rev-share as nobody can realistically enforce it?

Hello!

Thank you for the detailed questions. I completely understand why you want to evaluate the project realistically before committing your time. I’ll answer each point separately.

1. My experience

I am new to game development, but I have previous leadership experience in banking. I am also an experienced Blender user and have several models in my portfolio that I can show you.

I learn very fast. A few months ago, I couldn’t do a single thing in Unreal Engine. Now I can create simple mechanics by myself and work on more complex mechanics with GPT consultation when I need help finding solutions.

I don’t want to pretend that I have years of professional game-development experience because I don’t. What I can offer is full commitment to the project, a clear vision, the ability to learn quickly, and experience in organizing people and work.

2. GDD, scope, and current progress

I left my job so I can put all of my time into this project.

The GDD is currently in progress and has 22 pages so far. I temporarily paused working on it until I finish the descriptions of all scenes. Once they are complete, I will be able to determine all mechanics, gameplay systems, environmental systems, and the full workload much more accurately.

I hope to finish this stage soon.

The greyboxing has already been completed, and some mechanics for one of the key rooms have reached the prototype stage.

I have also recently found four artists, so production should move faster and I will be able to focus more of my time on organizing the work and development.

I have a clear vision of what I want the game to be, so from my perspective, every remaining step is mainly a matter of time, work, and execution.

3. Available resources

My main resource right now is time. I can work on the project full-time.

The financial budget is extremely limited at the moment. If I had the opportunity, I would prefer to pay salaries instead of offering revenue share.

However, after the trailer is released, I am prepared to take out a loan to finance further development, and I have the ability to do so.

Shortly before the trailer release, I also want to begin a crowdfunding campaign.

At the moment, the project already has greyboxing, prototype mechanics, some completed 3D models, four artists, and ongoing work on the GDD and full scene documentation.

4. Time plan

I think approximately one year before the demo release is realistic.

The game is complex, but I believe it has the potential to become one of the strongest horror games if everything goes according to plan, or even if we manage to achieve around 75% of the full vision.

I don’t want to promise an exact release date before the GDD and all scene descriptions are finalized, because only after that will I have a complete picture of the workload.

5. Revenue share, contracts, and guarantees

I am a lawyer myself, so I understand the importance of intellectual-property rights and formal agreements.

Everything you create for the project can be used in your portfolio, but it cannot be reused in another game.

After the trailer release, I plan to register the company and prepare formal contracts.

Regarding revenue share, I do not think it would be fair for someone who creates one model and leaves to receive the same 5% as someone who works consistently on the project for a long time.

If someone joins the project and does nothing, they will not receive a share.

If someone contributes meaningful work and later leaves the project, they will still receive compensation based on their contribution and the future income of the game.

If someone makes a major contribution to the project, I am a man of my word and I care strongly about fairness. In that case, their share can be higher than 5%.

The exact system will need to be formalized in the contracts so that contribution, departure from the project, and revenue distribution are clearly defined.

As for guarantees that the project will reach a sellable state: realistically, nobody can give an absolute guarantee in game development.

What I can say clearly is that I intend to finish the project regardless of how long it takes.

This is actually the second time I have had to search for team members. My experience so far has shown that many people respond with enthusiasm but never actually start working. Some of them spent a lot of my time discussing the project and learning about the idea but ultimately contributed nothing.

Because of that, I also take a significant risk — my time, money, and the project itself are at stake.

At the same time, I have also met people who are genuinely passionate and want to create something.

Most people currently work on the project in their free time because, naturally, they still need to pay their bills. I understand that completely.

For me, games are art, and they should be treated as art. I believe projects like this can become the beginning of something much bigger — potentially even the foundation of a studio that can one day reach the level of companies such as Naughty Dog.

I cannot guarantee that the road will be easy or fast, but I can say clearly that I will continue working until the project is finished.

It will require time and effort, but I don’t see a reason to miss the opportunity to try to create something great.

Hi,

Your post caught my eye - the mechanics list especially.

Quick background: I’ve been working in Unreal for a while now, mostly on the AI side. During an internship on a released title I built the enemy AI - Behavior Trees, EQS, AI Controllers, custom reusable C++ components - plus some Animation Blueprint work.

I work in both C++ and Blueprints, so whichever way your project leans is fine by me.

Happy to talk through the details - hit me up on Discord, my username is osist.

1 Like

Good evening,
Hope that you are doing well. I’ve read your post several times and the part about leaving your job to pursue this really resonated with me very much. I myself left my corporate job which was miserable by the way :sweat_smile: to pursue game dev career because of the games I loved playing so much (Zelda series, Dark Souls series, Elden Ring, and more). I’m not typically a horror fan unless it’s action-adventure RPGs but I can tell you that it is possible. I’m now a freelance Level Designer. It’s not making a lot of money but I’m definitely on the right track. Don’t give up on your project and keep pushing.

Here’s my advice to you:

  • Establish yourself by posting you and your teamates portfolios and game prototype videos you have in the post. There are many scams in the industry these days, so this is crucial to separate yourself from them. People who are serious about their work tend to do this and I’m not saying you’re not committed: quite the opposite. Creating portfolio and sharing videos, even if they’re only 10-30 seconds long, helps tremendously when attracting new devs who want to join you.

  • “I am a man of my word.” That statement carries no legal weight when it comes to signing contracts or working together in a project. You are a lawyer and have leadership background so you know exactly what this means when it comes to starting a business.

  • You show so much passion and commitment in your post and I respect that. Remember, people need to see something tangible in your posts. I wish you all the best and it’s really inspiring to see someone who left their job to pursue a game dev career. Good luck and don’t give up!

PS, I am saying this because when I was starting out there was no one there to tell me these things. I was lost but made many friends along the way who helped me and are still helping me but I can help them too now :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to write all of this.

And yes, it definitely sounds like you’re on the right track :slight_smile: I’m sure the income side will keep improving as you build more experience and connections.

I’m a big fan of Elden Ring and Dark Souls as well. Resident Evil, Fallout, and quite a few others too. I actually started Elden Ring about six months ago, have around 200 hours in it now, and somehow still haven’t finished the DLC on my first playthrough.

Horror was a natural direction for me partly because I really love contemporary horror films and the way some of them explore serious themes through surreal, disturbing, or almost phantasmagorical forms. That’s something I’d really like to bring into games as well.

I completely understand why people are cautious, especially with rev-share projects. Time is probably the biggest risk here, and I fully agree that it’s an extremely valuable resource. A project can fail, development can take much longer than expected, and the final result may be very different from the original plan.

In my case, this project is now my full-time focus, and I’m committed to bringing it to completion. I can’t honestly promise that every part of the original vision will survive development exactly as planned, because that would be unrealistic, but at the moment I don’t see any fundamental obstacle that would prevent the project from being finished.

From the legal side, I’m also very conscious of intellectual-property rights. People should retain clear protection for the work they create, and nobody’s assets should simply be taken and used without proper permission. That’s one of the reasons I want the legal structure and contracts to be properly established as the project develops.

You’re absolutely right about the portfolio and visible development progress, though. I should create something more presentable for the project.

The difficulty is that my existing portfolio works much better as a 3D artist portfolio than as a game lead portfolio, because this is my first project in that role. At the moment, most of my day is going into writing scene breakdowns and building the GDD, so that has been my main focus.

But I agree that even short prototype videos, screenshots, and examples of the team’s work would make the project much easier for people to evaluate from the outside. That’s definitely something I should improve.

Thank you again for the advice and support. I really appreciate that you took the time to share what you learned when you were starting out.

And good luck with your own work as well!

1 Like