Searching for a Programmer for a 2D RPG

What is the project/Why do you need help?

Heyo folks. I’m here on behalf as a team member for a new game in the works. From here on out, I’ll refer to the game as Project Black (PB), but please be aware that this is not the final title for the game. PB, while still being conceptualized, is a title featuring a culmination of fan appreciation for the 2D RPG genre, combining multiple aspects but keeping its vision as realistic and attainable as possible.

Much of the concept has been sitting down for nearly 6 years going unused, but it is now being reworked and the story is completely revamped. Our lead, myself, and several others have first-hand experience in creating games, so this is by no means a pipe dream. Unfortunately, despite our expertise in each of our fields, we’re running short on the programmer side, particularly those who are proficient in the languages we would like to see. The end goal is to have the game run in Unreal Engine 4. Without a proficient programmer, we fear that the project may be unable to realize its full potential, so it’s safe to assume that this project will take a lot of time and patience, but none of the features will be impossible.

What would I be programming?

The game, as mentioned previously, is a 2D RPG. The game may potentially utilize each of the following features:

• Rhythmic combat ala Mother 3 and minigames.
  • Basic shaders and real number functions for image distortion and palette swaps.
  • Dynamic events (Modes where you may run faster, a mode for cutscenes, NPC behaviors, etc.)
  • And more?!

How much time will I likely be investing in this project?

I cannot lie here and say that you will be working on the game quite a bit. Motivation will be essential for the project, and either myself or our project lead will constantly be willing to work with you in any way we can, and try to help in any way we can. In addition to this, we’d like to bring on board several skilled programmers, this way we don’t have to bring in an overly large workflow for one, single person.

Am I getting paid?

This question is still being considered. When it boils down to it, we are thinking of starting a Kickstarter or Patreon later on in development when we have some good stuff to show, but as it stands now, the game is purely a project out of love by all of us at the team.

Do you have something I can look at to consider your statements?

Absolutely! Due to the secret nature of the project, I’m unable to provide most other works of team members besides our concept artist, but here are some games that I have worked on:

• Rivals of Aether: Alpha Tester - Before the release of Rivals of Aether on Early Access, I had the opportunity to join the first group of alpha testers and report bugs and suggestions for the then developing game. The game has went on to feature in major tournaments and has gained the artistic talents of composer flashygoodness, Johan Vinet, Ellian, Kenju, and more.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 2D: Composer - I was a former member of the Ocarina of Time 2D team and offered a soundfont that featured higher quality samples, and remade music for the game and the developer’s next game.
  • (Classified until given permission): After Effects Template for Music - I was tasked with creating a template for a game team to use for uploads with music. The final project included more than 100 layers, a detailed and simple tutorial included, a variety of handmade assets, and an easy to edit system for someone that is a bit unfamiliar with after effects to utilize.
  • (Classified until given permission): Spriter - In this project, I was given the opportunity to sprite for a small fangame and help out with character designs, tiles, and more. Made in Gamemaker, the project was well organized and the unique style offered a challenge to my previous approach to drawing pixel art.
  • Additional works, including programs and other art
  • Concept Artist: We have a talented concept artist on board who has a lot of experience in drawing all sorts of styles and subjects. As a small sneak peek, here’s an example of her work.

How do I apply?

If you’d like to apply, please send a dm through here and put your name, email, and some projects you’ve programmed on as examples, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. I look forward to working with you on PB!