After being somewhat frustrated with the loading screen solutions I’ve seen people follow so far, I’ve decided to share how I handle Loading Screens in my Hovertank Game.
IMO I think this is personally the best (and most sensible) way to go about it. Current examples require all sorts of workarounds to implement such as loading into different levels, using streaming for the entire project etc - completely defeating the purpose of a loading screen in the first place. Less than 20 lines of code lets you avoid all of this.
- No temporary maps or streaming level nonsense!
- No additional calls, nodes or setup required, engine code automatically handles all transitions and kicks in when a map is triggered to load. All you have to do is call Open Level, or Join Session etc…
- No conflicts in PIE.
- Can easily play Movie Files, Audio Files & Animated widgets
- No Garbage Collection / reference issues.
- MoviePlayer is supported on all major platforms
- Integrates seamlessly with an existing project.
There’s a very minimal amount of C++ to set this up (very minimal), and I’ve pasted full source that you can easily copy-paste into an existing project.