Scrub Through Viewport Animation?

Hi all,

I’m using the alembic geometry cache to play back vertex animation within UE4. The problem I’m having is that this motion graphics sequence is now nearly a minute long and I want to be able to preview parts of it without having to playback/simulate the viewport and watch the whole thing through every time.

Is there a way of scrubbing through animation in the viewport? Or some kind of workaround?

Thanks,

Max

You could bind the animation to a UMG slider, so that you can basically run the entire animation and jump backward/forward using the slider itself

Thanks for the tip. I’m not sure if that’s possible when using an alembic geometry cache though, have you tried it?

It did give me an idea about possibly using a slider to scrub the “start time offset” value of the geometry cache but I’m not sure how I’d set that up.

The animation is driven by a BP with a Play animation node? or it just start as soon as you simulate/play?

If the animation is considered a “standard” animation the binding to the slider won’t be an issue.

I haven’t tried Alembic in a very long time, so I’m not sure what’s changed

At the moment it’s just running as I simulate/play. I’m fairly new to using UE4 properly so I’m not sure how to set it up otherwise or how to bind it to a slider.

I strongly suggest you to take a look at the Alembic introduction video from the UE4 YouTube channel, so that you can figure out the necessary steps, same thing for the binding of the slider, there are quite a lot of tutorials, so as soon as you figure out the play animation scenario, you can then scrub the animation using the slider.