Screen, World and Tri-planar texture mapping

Know that texture for the ground that you wanted to have real world size no matter the ground scale? Use world projection!
Same problem but with walls in different orientations? Use tri-planar!
And here’s how :smiley:

Nice tutorials!
Two questions:
With this material the object’s UV maps are completely irrelevant?
How expensive using these kind of materials regarding the performance?

Hey! Thanks very much for your video. Do you have considered the texture projection map in camera space. Its effect just seems in world space. When camera’s parameters (such as the field of view, camera forward or camera up) change, the effect of texture projection will change simultaneously. I have tried to do this, but I do not know how to transform to camera space using camera parameters. So, can you publish a video or give me some suggests? I will be very very grateful.

Hey these were very helpful. However, I have noticed when using Local Space I only get gray result. No textures showing up. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Hard to tell without knowing what/how you did it

Thank you for this. It was very helpful for us to get a galvanized metal material going from quite complex CAD models without having to uv-map everything!

Great! Just be careful not to use it everywhere if performance really matters. In that case, always prefer UV unwrapping.

It’s cheaper for us to throw a 1080 at the problem, than spend man-hours unwrapping every time there’s an update to a model. :wink:

(We’re not a game studio, we’re an industrial design company.)

lol I love when that kind of solution is available

So I just got back from Unreal Academy Enterprise and learned something interesting:

Did your tutorials release before this node became available, or did you just do it as a learning experience? (Which is still great, because I’m completely clueless about these things, yet was able to follow along your explanations, which is amazing because I haven’t managed to understand anything this advanced before I saw your video!) :slight_smile:

EDIT: Noticed I had 2 likes on this, so I updated the picture with the WorldAlignedNormal node as well, which was missing before. So please note that normals in triplanar behave differenly!

Thanks!
I did know about this node, but as you said: it was a learning experience. I like to know how things work under the hood because if something goes wrong, I know how to fix it.
For instance, I found out the normal texture blending with this node is not good. For normal triplanar mapping I always create my own blending. It requires manipulation of the normal tangents to be smoothly blended correctly.

There is another node in Unreal that does normal triplanar blending (I can’t remember its name now), but it also has some artifacts if you blend it too smoothly using detailed normals.