Screen Tearing In Editor

Is there any way to stop it? I’ve tried googling, checked relevant config file and smoothframerate is set to true, tried d3d override as well but nothing seems to stop me getting bad screen tearing. Can anyone help?

Really sorry to bump but desperate for an answer :frowning:

Hey themachinist,

Can you tell us your machine specs, OS version, and attach your dxdiag, please?

Thanks!

Sure:
Intel i5-2500 Quad Core @3.3GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6850, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit… I know graphics card and RAM aren’t quite up to scratch but I seem to be getting a good framerate from bringing some of settings down. But tearing persists!
link text

Hey themachinist,

You can force vsync on by running from a shortcut or commandline with -vsync. You can also see if limiting your FPS to 30 causes any change to this behavior, as described here: How do I lock the Editor to 30fps? - Programming & Scripting - Epic Developer Community Forums

Is screen tearing occurring just in editor, or does it happen in game, too? If in editor, does UI tear or is that just in Viewport?

Thanks for your help . I’m afraid that neither seem to fix it. screen tearing occurs in viewport when I move around and also when I run game in a separate window…

Hello,

Thank you for your report. We were not able to investigate this on engine version you reported, but there have been many version changes to UE4 since this question was first posted. With a new version of Engine comes new fixes and it is possible that this issue has changed or may no longer occur. Due to timetable of when this issue was first posted, we are marking this post as resolved for tracking purposes.

If you are still experiencing issue you reported in current engine version, then please respond to this message with additional information and we will investigate as soon as possible. If you are experiencing a similar, but different issue at this time, please submit a new report for it.

Thank you.

Screen tearing during Preview is caused by your limited video card hardware.
You can minimize that by reducing target hardware, like from Desktop to Tablet, also instead of selecting “Maximum Quality”, try “Scalable 3D / 2D”.

Then once you upgraded your video card, you can set it back to “Maximum Quality”.

These settings can be selected during project creation, or if you already have a project, then go to “Edit” → “Project Settings” → “Target Hardware”

I know this is a really old question but for anyone trying to find an answer, console command r.VsyncEditor 1 fixed issue for me. If you set other v-sync parameter it of course doesn’t effect editor.

1 Like

uh, still doing it in latest UE4. 1660 super.
v sync off by default? man, this is some unity type stuff right here.
i will say good news is console command did fix it. heres hoping it will stay that way next time i start up.

did NOT fix it. only solution was to FORCE v sync on in nvidia drivers settings.

honestly, really? this cant be normal. Epic shipped an engine with SCREEN TEARING in editor by default? with no option to fix it? even Unity has an option now. (took them long enough)

This worked perfectly for me! Using UE5 Early Access

Thanks! This fixed it for me with UE5 EA on a RTX 3080.

enable vsync in your video card driver

In UE5 editor console commands enter the following:

r.VSyncEditor 1

That should remove screen tearing.

1 Like

Editor VSync is also an option findable in Editor Preferences: