Screen Space Global Illumination (SSGI)

Right, but does it work with forward shading and in VR ?

Haven’t tested that. But knowing how limited rendering features are in Forward Rendering, I would guess no. If you have a VR project setup already you should simply make a quick test by enabling it.

Why would you say it’s not useable?
SSGI looks amazing in my test level as well and it has WAY lower performance impact than raytracing on my GTX 1080.
Seems pretty good to me. I’m really looking forward to the 4.24 official release of SSGI! :smiley:
I also want a technique to combine with SSGI, maybe raytracing, but I don’t like the “noisy” look of it by default…

Another alternative might be: SSGI for everyone by default.
RTXGI with high resolution/bounces settings as an option to activate in the in-game options menu for high end gaming PCs.
And ofc. RTXGI to show off the game in screenshots, trailers etc. :wink:

LOve to test it as so frustated with lighting large outdoor areas I’m creating. If you’re GTX 1080 is doing well,my GTX 950 is worthy trying as I push forward soon with a much better card. Ty for post about that .

It’s completed for 4.24

Hello there,

I’m testing SSGI in 4.23 version and for now my result is pretty noisy

I tested with r.ScreenSpaceRendering 1 and r.ScreenSpaceRendering 4, there is a difference but still insufficient. (cf screenshot)

I checked the code and they clamp quality to a max of 4.
const int32 Quality = FMath::Clamp( CVarSSGIQuality.GetValueOnRenderThread(), 1, 4 );
Is there a way to reduce that noise in 4.23 version? If not someone would know if it’s fixed in 4.24?

Yes, inside the DiffuseIndirect shader in the new folder dedicated to SSR and SSGI. It functions similarly to SSR, so you can increase the number of steps along the ray(improves depth testing making it more accurate along edges) and the number of samples(reduces noise).

4.23 SSGI is still fairly expensive by default, so increasing these values will just make it even more expensive. 4.24 has improvements to SSGI that make it a little more production friendly, but I never tested the quality levels in a clean environment to see if the defaults were super noisy.

Thanks for verify:)

SSGI does not work without TemporalAA(

For me it’s not working in VR even with TAA, it simply makes each eye see different kind of shadow. 4.24

That’s … upsetting, but I am hardly surprised - Epic doesn’t seem to care for VR much at this point.

That’s a shame, pretty sure if SSGI worked in VR, my work would consider doing their first project in UE4 (as opposed to Unity).

I’m using the SSGI in combination with LPV and despite it is a bit slow in rendering I think it produces amazing! results!

Works in VR ? How slow ?

but for me theres a problem. the SSGI turns off/on and increases/decreases when moving the camera. why is that?

Simply because it’s screen space; it only works with information present on the screen. It’s not really suitable for moving cameras.